Band 4 Litigation Officer
Temporary Band 4 Litigation Officer required for a large public sector organisation based through the Belfast Trust at Musgrave Park Hospital.
Rate of Pay: £11.53
Location: Musgrave Park Hospital
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
JOB SUMMARY / MAIN PURPOSE:
The post holder will support Legal process by collating information and documentation regarding Professional Negligence, Employer's and Occupiers Liability claims brought against BHSCT and working together with the Trust's external legal services provider to ensure that an effective claims management process is maintained.
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
The post holder will be required to carry out a range of duties which may include all or some of the following:
- Support the legal claims process in compliance with court process and through the application of Pre-Action Protocols for Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury litigation.
- Ensure prompt acknowledgment of receipt of correspondence received from Plaintiff's solicitors and referral of same to the Trust's external legal services provider.
- Open new claims folders in litigation department format and ensure that incoming mail is attached and actioned as appropriate.
- Ensure that all Pleadings are processed within the strict time-limits imposed by the legal process.
- Ensure that documents required for Discovery are provided promptly.
- Collate such information as will assist the Trust's Legal Services Manager and Clinical Director (Clinical Negligence) in determining the validity of a given claim.
- Obtain and release clinical records to the Trust's Legal Services provider as appropriate for Discovery and ensure availability of records as and when required for clinical purposes.
- Seek information/documentation from appropriate staff within the Trust in relation to ongoing claims and verify content of same before referring onwards to the Trust's external legal services provider.
- Ensure that all files in the post-holder's control are kept under regular review via "brought-forward" system, so that replies are received to all outstanding queries, information is forwarded to the Trust's external legal services provider in the shortest time possible and proactive measures are taken, in keeping with the Department's Escalation Policy, to obtain information when it is not forthcoming.
- Act as point of contact in arranging interviews with Trust witnesses / consultations for Trust staff with external legal services providers - solicitors and barristers - when requested and also in relation to cases that are approaching hearing. This includes checking availability of witnesses for court hearings and pre-hearing consultations, notifying witnesses in writing of matters listed for hearing and ensuring attendance of witnesses at all appropriate times.
- Ensure that details of court listings are recorded and updated in the Litigation Department Court calendar.
- Deal with telephone calls and process various enquiries as required.
- General filing and photocopying duties.
- Various other tasks as may be assigned by the Senior Litigation Officers, Litigation Managers and Legal Services Manager.
1.HNC/HND or equivalent/higher qualification in an administrative related field AND GCSE English Language at grade A-C/4-9
AND 1 year's experience in a clerical/administrative role at Band 3 level or equivalent
5 GCSEs at grade A-C including English Language and Mathematics or equivalent/higher qualifications AND 3 years' experience in a clerical/administrative role at Band 3 level or equivalent
2.Functional Skills ICT Level 2 or OCR Text Processing (Business Professionals) Level 2 Award or RSA Stage II Typing/Word Processing (both parts) or equivalent. Holders of RSA/OCR examinations after September 1986 must have passed both parts. Part qualifications are not acceptable.
1 year's typing experience*, to include the typing of reports, formatting & circulation of correspondence, use of Microsoft packages (WORD, EXCEL etc) & general word processing.
*1 year's experience must have been in a Health and Social Care setting.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite packages.
- Experience of arranging consultations and meetings.
- Possess excellent organisational and administrative skills.
- Possess effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines to a high level of accuracy.
If you are interested and available for this position, please upload your CV to the link or contact Orlaith Fogarty. Orlaith.email@example.com
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles. As there are so many applications, unsuccessful candidates may not be contacted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.