MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
Undertake work of a horticultural nature and carry out grounds maintenance as directed throughout the Parks and Cemeteries Service to include artificial surfaces; parks; playing fields; golf courses; and other open spaces
- Ensure grounds and horticultural areas are maintained in accordance with the required standards and carrying out the instructions of the Team Leader/Parks and Cemeteries Supervisor.
- Operate and maintain tools and equipment required to carry out any of the duties pertaining to the post, ensuring daily safety checks are completed.
- Carry out routine maintenance activities including litter and leaf collection, hedge cutting, planting, sweeping, weed control operations, grass cutting, shrub/tree pruning, floral planting, watering hanging baskets, maintaining pitches/sports area, administering fertilisers/spraying pesticides and any other grounds or cemetery maintenance activities required in the delivery of the service.
- Undertake duties in the Nursery, for example, making up hanging baskets; prepare cut flower and other displays; sow seeds; take cuttings etc.
- Routine constructional labouring, including backfilling graves and topping up sunken graves.
- Carry out routine maintenance of plant and equipment including daily checks on oil, water, fuel, tyres to ensure that plant and equipment are kept clean and operational condition.
- Routine cleaning of buildings, toilets, showers, changing rooms, community areas and pavilions.
- Removal of litter and hazardous waste (e.g. Animal carcasses) from shorelines, beaches and waterways, ensuring correct disposal.
- Completion of written and computerised records (e.g in-house systems, accidents, defects and safety checks.
- Inspect and maintain playground area e.g replace damaged swings; repair fencing.
- Taking booking for activities/facilities in the area (e.g caravan park, special events), taking and receipting of monies where appropriate.
- Hold keys to allocated building, ensuring security of same and public access where appropriate.
- Implement adverse weather programmes i.e. salt/flooding when required.
- In the event of inclement weather preventing normal working undertake such alternative tasks as may be allocated by management.
- Delivery and collection of requested items, including erecting stands/displays when necessary.
- Ensuring Health and Safety requirements are adhered to as per Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council's Strategy.
- Demonstrate a team approach to achieving the objectives of the Section through full flexibility in relation to tasks undertaken.
- Provide a high level of internal and external customer service including taking ownership of customer queries and complaints and following issues through to completion.
- Continuously develop personal knowledge and skills to enhance internal and external customer service.
- Comply with Council's policies and procedures including those relating to health, safety, wellbeing and safeguarding.
- Promote equality and diversity by demonstrating appropriate behaviours in line with Council values.
- Carry out any other relevant duties which may be assigned including working in other sections of the Department and Council.
- A minimum of 1 years experience of horticultural work including planting and flowerbed maintenance
- Working knowledge of grass cutting, grounds maintenance techniques, horticulture materials including shrub, bedding plants etc and knowledge of Health and Safety regulations
- As this post involves significant physical and manual handling elements, a good level of general fitness is required
- C1 + E license to drive vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes
- Hold a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence and qualification card (CPC card)
- Hold PA1 qualification for safe use of pesticides
- Hold PA6A qualification for spraying pesticides using a hand held applicator
- Hold an NVQ Level 1 in Amenity Horticulture
- Hold a qualification in Road Management / Traffic Control
- NPTC in use of Chainsaws
Full time temporary seasonal role to start early March
£9.81 per hour based on 37hrs per week
Interested applicants please forward your cv via the apply button or directly to Ashleigh, email@example.com any enquiries please call 028 25642699