Assistant Harbour Master required for Casual on Call basis - £10.19
The location of this post will be in Carrickfergus, however the post holder may be required to work in any area of the Borough as the post dictates including Glenarm and Portglenone Marinas.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Assist with the day-to-day operational management of the Marinas, Harbours, Rivers and Maritime areas. Ensuring safe operations of berthing, mooring and securing of craft.
Ensure a customer led approach whilst complying with Health & Safety guidelines, relevant legislation and procedures.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service Delivery
- Carry out regular inspections of the Marina, Harbour and designated public realm areas to ensure compliance with relevant health and safety regulations.
- Record the movement of vessels to ensure the safe berthing of craft in the Marinas, Harbours, Rivers and Maritime areas.
- Ensure the security, safety and cleanliness of the Marinas, Harbours, Rivers and Maritime areas.
- Ensure that berthing conditions, Bye-Laws and local regulations are strictly adhered to.
- In line with the Port Marine Safety Code, maintain and update daily work schedules, berthing inventories and other records.
- Control, where required, access to the Marinas, Harbours, Rivers and Maritime areas for both contractors and customers, ensuring validation and authority for presence and work.
- Carry out general and minor maintenance and repairs within the maritime area including removal of debris ashore and afloat, power washing, board replacement and operate an effective requisition process for other minor works.
- Provide regular and accurate recording of inventories including electricity, water and vessels on a daily/weekly basis as required.
- Assist the Harbour Master with berth allocation, berth transfers and any general berthing issues, keeping all appropriate records up to date and readily available.
- As directed by the Harbour Master and Marina management, liaise as necessary with on site operators to ensure proper delivery of service.
- Provide front office cover as part of a duty rota, providing customer service and operating the appropriate IT systems.
- Assist with event management on site as necessary and erect/dismantle equipment as required.
- At all times, act as an ambassador for Mid & East Antrim Borough Council and provide the highest level of integrity and service quality to customers and visitors by providing information on the Marinas, Harbours, Rivers and Maritime areas.
- Crew the Marina workboat to complete daily checks and inspections under the Port Marine Safety Code including checks and inspections of all navigational beacons, markers and lead-in-lights in the harbour and marina areas.
- Maintain the Marina work boat in a safe condition, completing checks and reporting any faults to the Harbour Master.
- Ensure that all slipways and relevant Council facilities are maintained in a clean and safe condition within the Marinas, Harbours, Rivers and Maritime areas in line with Health and Safety guidelines.
- Assist with the Harbour Master statutory powers of direction, prohibition, removal and regulation of vessels in accordance with the above legislation and guidance and other relevant legislation.
- Assist with the response to incidents and emergencies, collating evidence and carry out initial investigations.
Applicants must have a minimum of:
- 3 GCSE passes at grade C or above (or equivalent) to include English Language and Maths
- RYA Powerboat level 2 or equivalent
- First Aid Qualification
- VHF Operators certificate (or obtain within 3 months of employment)
Be able to demonstrate by providing personal and specific examples, 2 years' operational experience working in a marina or port environment.
Alternatively consideration may be given to candidates who do not possess the required GCSE qualifications but who can demonstrate by providing personal and specific examples, 4 years' operational experience working in a marina or port environment.
A full current driving licence valid in the UK and access to a vehicle OR have access to a form of transport that enables you to carry out the duties of the post .