Band 4 Medical Secretary
Temporary Medical Secretary required for a large public sector organisation based through the Belfast Trust.
Rate of Pay: £11.53
Location: Belfast Trust
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Duration: Temporary ongoing
JOB SUMMARY / MAIN PURPOSE:
The post-holder will provide comprehensive secretarial and administrative service to Consultant Medical Staff or group of Medical Consultants, their team and the Clinic team within the assigned Service Group.
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Undertake any secretarial tasks appropriate to the band as required by the Admin Services Co-ordinator, Speciality consultants and secretaries.
- Act as a point of contact for all forms of communication between the Consultant, patients, relatives, all hospital staff, General Practitioners and their staff and outside agencies.
- Effectively deal with telephone calls from patients, relatives, hospital staff and General Practitioners and other individuals or organisations, taking messages, ensuring follow-up and resolving any problems as appropriate to band.
- Assist in the coordination of arrangements and documentation to ensure patients receive treatment at the right time, with test results made available to Consultants and Clinical team when necessary.
- Participate in meetings and take appropriate action in line with service provision as appropriate to band.
- Transport patient files to other hospitals or units in accordance with the BHSCT Transportation of records policy.
- Record and process all referrals on the appropriate IT system and undertake checks in line with service protocols and procedures.
- Open and prioritise all incoming mail and action accordingly.
- Be responsible for typing of correspondence and other documents as required - both audio typing and copy typing.
- Ensure all medical case notes are appropriately maintained in accordance with Trust Policies and Procedures.
- Obtain patient's case notes and x-rays as necessary.
- Register new patients and create a new set of patient notes as required.
- Register patients on the waiting list or arrange their admission, as appropriate.
- When necessary deal with fast track referrals to ensure timely appointments are made.
- Assist patients and their carers by arranging translation/interpretation facilities.
- Provide secretarial cover appropriate to the band as and when necessary to ensure an efficient secretarial service is maintained in the absence of colleagues.
- Be working in a changing environment. He/she will be expected to adapt to change and undertake other duties within the band of the post as required.
- Be responsible for the execution of other duties (appropriate to the grade) which may be assigned from time to time.
RSA / OCR Stage II Text Processing Part I and Part II (Word Processing/ Typewriting) or equivalent.
Four GCSE's Grade C/4 or above (to include English Language) or equivalent and 1 years' audio typing/ administrative experience at a band 2 or above.
NVQ Level 2 in Administration and 2 years' secretarial/administrative experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Access, PowerPoint.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Effective planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to develop good working relationships with officers of various grade and professions.
- The flexibility to work in a changing environment.
- Ability to identify problems and recommend appropriate solutions.
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link or contact Orlaith Fogarty. Orlaith.Fogarty@staffline.co.uk
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles. As there are so many applications, unsuccessful candidates may not be contacted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.