Temporary Cemetery Operative required for a large public sector client based in Belfast.
Rate of Pay: £10.41 per hour
Location: Roselawn Cemetery, Belfast
Hours: 37 hours per week
Duration: 1 month pending review
- To carry out duties to ensure the smooth processing of the funeral from reception of the body, through the service for the dead, to the cremation or burial of the body
- To co-operate with the Senior Crematorium Technician or Community Parks Supervisor in the compilation of work schedules and report any requests for alterations to the same
- To carry out necessary checks before cremation and to supervise the correct placing of the coffin onto the catafalque by the family or Funeral Directors
- To ensure safe operation and routine maintenance of cremators and auxiliary equipment such as fans, smoke indicators, reducing machine and catafalque etc including minor repairs
- To store ashes prior to disposal, to check ashes for final disposal, to pack ashes for despatch and to remove metal objects from cremated remains
- To dispose of cremated remains as instructed, including the burial, and scattering of ashes in the cemetery
- To clean and tidy cremator room, chapel, waiting room, Book of Remembrance Room and other areas within the Crematorium, and maintain the floral displays
- To identify and check grave spaces and report irregularities to the Community Parks Supervisor and/or Cemetery Manager.
- To excavate grave by use of appropriate tools, for example, shovels, spades and other tools including powered tools to appropriate depth
- To receive coffin from undertaker and check documentation, to lower coffin into ground and to fill in and finish grave including placing of wreaths
- To undertake site preparation and constructional labouring
- To undertake maintenance of cemetery including sweeping, grass cutting, hedge trimming, turfing and seed sowing, planting and removal of litter and rubbish
- To carry out application of chemical pest control methods including calibration of sprayers and identification of a range of pests, diseases and weeds
- To undertake the reinstatement of monuments and underground vaults
- To assist mourners and members of the public in locating graves and memorial trees, giving guidance where required and to maintain good relations with Ministers and Funeral Directors
- To comply at all times with the Code of Cremation Practice as laid down by the Federation of Burial and Cremation Authorities and the Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992 and appropriate legislation
- To carry out regular inspections of headstones and take remedial action to ensure compliance with health and safety regulations
- Be able to demonstrate by providing specific examples at least oneyears' relevant experience in each of the following areas:
- commercial horticultural work, for example, grass cutting, hedge trimming, turfing and seed sowing, planting, sweeping, removal of litter and rubbish etc; and
- dealing with members of the public in a tactful and sensitive manner, in a similar environment, for example, funeral parlour, cemetery, park, etc
If you are interested and available for this position, please upload your CV to the link.
Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles.