Clean Water Chemistry Graduate Trainee
Temporary Water chemistry Graduate Trainee will be responsible for working alongside Northern Ireland Water.
Rate of Pay: £18,298 - £20,748
Location: Westland, Belfast
Hours: 37.5 hrs, 8 hrs per day, 5 days a week
Duration: Temporary - August 2023
JOB SUMMARY / MAIN PURPOSE:
The Clean Water Chemistry Graduate Trainee will be responsible for carrying out chemistry analysis. The Clean Water Laboratory is responsible for the collection and analysis of potable, raw, process and inter-stage waters. The work covers a wide range of determinants including trace metals, organics, general pollution indicators nutrients and microbiology. Both NI Water laboratories hold accreditation to ISO 17025 standards. The post holder will be responsible for carrying out chemical analysis and water matrices.
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support scientific officers to forecast the best use of resources.
- Support scientific officers to ensure effective housekeeping of work area and equipment.
- Assist scientific officers in the maintenance and renewal of laboratory apparatus and provide analytical troubleshooting support as and when required.
- Assist scientific officers to deal with internal and external customers and address their concerns and enquiries.
- Build relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to enhance confidence in the date produced by Northern Ireland Water Laboratories.
- Carry out analysis with the support of scientific officers to agreed turnaround times to ensure regulatory compliance is met.
- Ensure all records are maintained and transcribed accurately to LIMS, the laboratory quality management system and associated documentation.
- Assist with technical training of new members of staff ensuring a transfer of knowledge is always achieved.
- Ensure all Health and Safety requirements are met.
- Comply and cooperate in full of regard to NI water and Laboratory specific health and safety procedures.
- A third level qualification (HNC/HND/Degree) in Chemistry or in a subject where the study of Chemistry is a major component*. 'Major component' is defined as: At least 50% of the course covers core chemistry modules such as organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical or analytical chemistry modules
- Demonstrable experience in Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Excel).
- Knowledge of Health and Safety requirements relevant to laboratories. An understanding of how compliance with the Drinking Water Quality Regulations affects decisions within NI Water.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to manage own time.
- Creates and maintains effective working relationships.
- Support colleagues in accomplishing their daily work.
- Promote a safe and motivational working environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with different audiences on technical and non-technical issues.
If you are interested and available for this position, please upload your CV to the link or contact Hannah Fitzsimons. Hannah.Fitzsimons@staffline.co.uk
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles. As there are so many applications, unsuccessful candidates may not be contacted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.