Cleansing Operative - Limavady
Our Client, a Large Public Sector Organisation based in Limavady require a Cleansing Operative.
Role : Cleansing Operative
Location : Limavady
Hours of work : 37 hrs per week Monday to Friday
Hourly Rate : 1-12 weeks £9.00 p/hr 13 weeks + £ 9.36 p/hr
Main Duties :
- Work in accordance with the Refuse Collection schedule as directed by the Cleansing Officer ensuring that collection schedules are adhered to in the same sequence on the day specified.
- Collect all domestic and commercial waste and assist in the loading and unloading of the vehicles, using where necessary mechanical aids and bin loading equipment in accordance with manufacturers' instructions.
- Carry out the collections with due regard to property and minimum disturbance to members of the public. Spillages should be cleared up, bins replaced and gates closed. Report details of all complaints to the Chargehand Driver.
- Report the reason for any non-collection of refuse and any damage caused to refuse containers or property to the Chargehand Driver.
- Ensure bins are properly returned to their collection point in a tidy manner so as not to cause an obstruction.
- Carry out such other relevant duties as directed including, if the postholder possesses an LGV Category C licence together with five years driving experience of heavy goods vehicles, providing relief cover for drivers.
- Work in accordance with the Street Cleansing schedule as directed by the Cleansing Officer ensuring that schedules are adhered to.
- Properly sweep all public spaces i.e. pavements, channels, car parks, streets, roads, pedestrian and shopping precincts in conjunction with mechanical equipment or street orderly truck.
- Carry out manual sweeping, shovelling, litter picking, pedestrian operated suction sweeper and other appropriate methods as required. Clean picnic areas and remove waste from litter receptacles.
- Empty all litter bins on the route and report any defective ones found to the Chargehand.
- Report damage to any receptacle or fitting in picnic area to the Chargehand.
- Use of and operation of the usual range of associated tools and equipment. Ensure that the equipment, brushes, shovels, street orderly trucks, etc. issued are in good condition to enable cleansing operations undertaken to be carried out satisfactorily.
- Report immediately to the Chargehand Driver any accidents or incidents which may occur.
- Act as a lookout for the driver when he has to reverse or make a difficult manoeuvre.
Full Job Description available on request.
Essential Criteria :
- At least 1 years' experience of working within a waste collection, waste disposal or recycling environment, where such duties constitute at least half of the post duties.
- At least 1 years' experience working in a customer related type environment including dealing with the public in a polite and courteous manner.
- Be able to demonstrate by example previous experience of heavy manual work.
- Ability to work as part of a team in order to complete designated collection schedule.
- Ability to maintain daily records.
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Hold a current driving licence in category B
- Be available to work outside normal working hours (i.e. evening work, weekends, Public Holidays) and/or to facilitate clean-up operations following special events.
- Be able to work outdoors in all weathers.
- As the post involves significant walking for long distances (up to 12 miles daily) and manual handling elements, the post holder must be of a satisfactory level of general fitness.
Desirable Criteria :
- Possess a basic Health & Safety qualification, e.g. CIEH Manual Handling, CIEH Level 2 award in Health & Safety, or equivalent.
- Possess a current C1 + E licence
If you are interested and meet all essential criteria please apply via the link.