Deputy Principal Adjudication Officer
Grafton Recruitment are working in partnership with the Northern Ireland Civil Service to recruit a temporary Deputy Principal Legal Adjudication Officer to start ASAP for a duration of 4 Months (initially)
Pay rate: 0-12 week's £12.00 per hour
13+ week's £19.37 per hour
Location: Belfast, BT1
Hours: Mon - Friday (9.00am - 5.00pm)
- The post holder should be a qualified solicitor and have at least 3 years post qualification experience as a solicitor
- Legal practice including a knowledge of the criminal and civil justice system, legal aid legislation and case law.
- A working knowledge of court procedures across civil and criminal proceedings which can be funded by the LSA.
Assist the Business Manager:
- 85% - Adjudicate on the merits of applications for civil legal aid;
- Responsibility for the granting and issue, or refusal of either limited or full civil legal aid certificates. This commits the Agency to considerable expenditure in civil legal aid;
- The post holder will also take decisions as appropriate as to the discharge, revocation and reinstatement of Civil Legal Aid Certificates.
- 10% - In order to achieve the objectives of LSA's Corporate and Operational Plans and contribute to the preparation of the Agency's Annual Report post holder will be responsible for ;
Assisting the Head of Civil Operations in providing the Agency response to legal challenges, including the briefing of counsel;
The post holder will also be responsible for providing advice and guidance to legal representatives on legal aid matters.
The post holder will also be required to prepare the initial response to all Pre Action Protocol Letters against the decisions of the Agency where the matters relate to challenges against the decision in respect of Civil Legal Services.
- This will in some instances require the post holder to liaise with the original decision maker within the Representation Higher and Lower Teams.
- 5% - The post holder will assist the Business Manager to ensure that the Business Unit delivers services to all internal and external customers, which meet the highest standards set by any of the following;-
The Agency and its committees;
- The Chief Executive
- The Director of Civil Legal Aid;
- Internal customers including the Senior Management Team;
- Engaging with stakeholders and routinely with senior lawyers in private practice about requests for reviews and dealing with complaints about decisions.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Lesley-Anne Fitzgerald will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland