Driver / Operative (Priority Waste)
Rate of Pay: £11.81 per hour
Location: Duncrue Complex
Hours: 37 Hours per week
Duration: Temporary ongoing
JOB SUMMARY / MAIN PURPOSE:
Under the general direction and reporting to the appropriate Area Cleansing Supervisor, the postholder will be responsible for:
Removing and transporting priority waste to the designated transfer or disposal site. This work also entails, as required, segregation of waste to specified areas or locations. Carrying out priority cleansing duties that will enhance the appearance of the public realm such as street cleansing, land clearance, street washing, cleansing of street furniture, gum removal, graffiti removal, and fly poster removal/obliteration.
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- To drive and be responsible for any allocated vehicle and any authorised passengers. To ensure that the vehicle is not overloaded and to safely manoeuvre the vehicle on the daily route.
- To safely collect and load priority waste, as identified by management, and transport to the designated transfer or disposal site. This includes the cleansing of priority waste as required.
- To safely carry out priority cleansing, as identified by management, such as street cleansing, land clearance, street washing, street furniture washing, gum removal, graffiti and fly poster removal or obliteration and any other priority cleansing duties which may arise.
- To work to schedules and rotas and complete all relevant paperwork and collate any information as specified by management. To prioritise work for the team, if necessary, on a daily basis within laid down parameters.
- To wash the vehicle as required, keeping the interior and exterior of the vehicle in a clean and tidy condition.
- To use any equipment and associated materials that is required in the priority waste cleansing process. Ensuring the safe storage and security of such equipment, that is, hand truck, strapping equipment, power wash, gum machine and generator.
- To separate the various types of waste and dispose or store according to management instructions.
- To take part in staff training as required.
- To adhere to appropriate guidelines: driver daily checks, accident procedure and drivers' procedures. Adhere to HASAW legislation and appropriate codes of practice. This also covers the wearing of appropriate protective and reflective clothing, safety footwear and other PPE: the safe lifting of heavy objects, recognising hazardous substances and ensuring the safety of the public and other staff where appropriate.
Applicants must, as at the closing date for receipt of application forms:
- have a full, current driving licence (Class C1+E) which enables them to drive vehicles including vehicle and trailer in Northern Ireland (a vehicle will be provided for the purposes of fulfilling the duties of this post);
- possess a full, current Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification; and
- be able to demonstrate on the application form, by providing personal and specific examples, at least six months' relevant experience in driving in a commercial environment; cleaning an outdoor area, making sure tools and equipment are safely used in accordance with health and safety regulations; and dealing with members of the public in person.
If you are interested and available for this position, please upload your CV to the link or contact Robyn Barry. Robyn.Barry@staffline.co.uk
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles. As there are so many applications, unsuccessful candidates may not be contacted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.