Environmental Health Officer
Environmental Health Officer - £ 17.36ph - 37hpw - Ongoing Temporary - Newtownabbey
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To protect and promote the health and wellbeing of those who live in, work in, and visit the Borough and to contribute to their quality of life.
Be responsible to the Principal Environmental Health Officer for the effective and efficient performance of a wide range of duties including:
(a) Enforcing all statutory provisions which fall within the remit of the Environmental Health Section.
(b) Supporting the Principal Environmental Health Officer to achieve set objectives
(c) Identifying information needs within the businesses and residential community relating to Environmental Health matters
(d) Devising, planning and participating in training and information campaigns to promote awareness of legislative requirements and health issues.
To report to the Principal Environmental Health Officer on evolving Environmental Health issues within the Borough.
To contribute to the improvement of the environment, health and wellbeing of the business and residential community by identifying and prioritising needs, devising, organising and participating in appropriate education and promotion programmes.
To inspect/audit and risk assess premises on a proactive and reactive basis across the full range of Environmental Health functions as required in accordance with relevant legislation, approved codes of practice or guidance, and performance targets within the Department.
Liaise and work collaboratively with other organisations to achieve Council's corporate objectives.
Investigate and resolve complaints across the full range of Environmental Health functions.
Make decisions and recommendations on the appropriate legal or non-statutory action to be taken in accordance with duties and authorisation assigned to the post holder, having regard to legal requirements, Codes of Practice and Council policies.
Prepare and personally serve statutory notices, prepare prosecution cases and act as, an expert witness and provide specialist opinion in court proceedings, public enquiries or other public meetings as required.
Assist and investigate in the departmental response to major incidents and emergencies such as, pollution incidents, food poisoning, infectious diseases, food hazard warnings, dangerous occurrences, workplace accidents, product recalls and customer complaints.
* Degree or master's degree in Environmental Health, which entitles you to membership of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
* A minimum of 6 months' relevant experience in Environmental Health
* Skilled and persuasive communicator
* Ability to exchange information orally and in writing, complicated or sensitive information with a wide range of audiences
* Ability to achieve targets
* Competent in the use of IT systems including Microsoft Office applications
* Analytical and Judgemental skills required to interpret complex information and solve difficult problems
* Full current driving licence or if disability prevents driving, access to a form of transport to enable the duties of the post to be carried out in full.
(Full Job Description Available on Request)