Newry & Downpatrick
The Client: Local Government body based in Downpatrick, serving local residents.
The post holders will be required to work in all weather conditions and as a team member contributing to the maintenance of the full range of the Council's parks, gardens and open spaces as appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake work in public parks, playing fields, landscaped areas and similar open spaces, i.e. general maintenance of these areas eg grass cutting, hedge trimming, sweeping, hoeing, raking, edging, removal of litter and rubbish, constructional labouring work, erection and dismantling of sports and other equipment, cleaning eg Council buildings such as changing rooms and toilets
- Patrol and attendance activities, collection and issuing of fees and tickets and maintenance of orderly conduct by the public to ensure Council bylaws are complied with.
- Horticultural operations eg planting, pruning, seeding and turfing and grounds maintenance eg basic setting out and marking of sports areas, spiking, scarifying, top dressing and fertilising and maintenance of Council's tennis courts.
- Assistance to higher graded gardeners in more skilled tasks, which includes planning seasonal works, assistance with propagation and nursery care of plants, site preparation and construction.
- Carry out driving duties as instructed by the Line Manager. Driving duties to include: driving and responsibility for allocated vehicles i.e. vehicle checks (eg oil and water checks), required routine maintenance and cleaning, transportation of goods, equipment and personnel, assisting in the loading and unloading of vehicles using mechanical aids where appropriate, completing of associated paperwork and familiarity in the use of telecommunications equipment in accordance with Road traffic legislation.
Hours of work: 37 hrs per week
- NVQ Level 1 Horticulture AND a minimum of 12 months relevant experience to include the use of commercial grounds maintenance machinery. Examples: Strimmer's, walk behind or ride on mowers, leaf blowers, hedge cutters and other hand tools
- In lieu of qualification, a minimum of 2 years relevant experience to include the use of commercial grounds maintenance machinery. Examples: Strimmer's, walk behind or ride on mowers, leaf blowers, hedge cutters and other hand tools
- Current category B driving licence
- Current category C1+E driving licence
- Approved Machinery Operations Certificate.
- Certificate in Chemical Spraying and Handling (Pa1 and Pa6a)
- Rates of Pay: £10.19 p/hr
Why use Staffline? This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Staffline. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. For further information please apply with your up-to-date CV by clicking the button.