Rate of Pay: £10.01
Location: Various Locations throughout Greater Belfast Area
Hours: 37 hours per week
Duration: Temporary ongoing
JOB SUMMARY / MAIN PURPOSE:
Responsible to the relevant line manager for the undertaking of duties utilised in Waste Collection, Open Spaces and Streetscene Services work to include areas such as streets, entries, parks, playing fields, landscaped areas, open spaces and waste facilities either individually or as part of a team.
Ensure that all refuse and recyclable material is removed from household, industrial and commercial premises such as houses, shops, schools, business premises for appropriate disposal.
Remove and transport priority waste to the designated transfer or disposal site. Ensure the segregation of waste to specified areas and locations for safe/special disposal eg fridge freezers and other items for recycling.
Carry out priority cleansing duties that will enhance the appearance of the public realm such as street cleansing, land clearance, street washing, cleansing of street furniture, gum removal, graffiti removal, and fly poster removal or obliteration.
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Safely collect and load all domestic, commercial waste and priority waste as identified by management, for transport to the designated transfer or disposal site. This includes the cleansing of priority waste as required.
- Undertake any inspection process required to ensure that materials presented for collection, recycling and composting are not contaminated by non-appropriate materials, this will include both pre and post emptying of the receptacle.
- Undertake appropriate measures to identify premises not adhering to proper procedures for presenting materials for recycling, for example, contamination, not suitably presented, not leaving out receptacle and inform the occupiers as required, note vacated or new domestic or commercial properties, provide supervisors with the necessary reports on such premises.
- Undertake assessments of specific waste collections, collating required information and report problem areas to the call-centre and/or appropriate supervisor.
- Assist with any promotional activities designed to encourage the public to recycle, including personal contact with the public, leaflet drops, attachment of container stickers, etc and assist with any public survey work as required.
- Ensure that all operations are carried out with due regard to property and with minimum disturbance to members of the public, hence waste/recycling containers etc should be emptied and returned to their proper location undamaged and lids should be closed.
- Ensure that work is carried out in an effective manner, ensuring that all spillages, residues, loose and bagged waste are cleaned up and work areas are left in a high standard of cleanliness on completion of operations.
- Report back accordingly to the appropriate line manager on completion of the day's route and to inform management of any unfinished work, access problems or problems encountered, report damaged containers, lifts or other equipment and to return to overlooked area's on the day's route.
- Carry out cultural operations, eg the planting of trees, shrubs and plants, turf and seed sowing, grass cutting, hedge cutting and pruning.
- Operate tractor mounted equipment, powered hand tools and light plant as required and to maintain all tools and equipment in a satisfactory condition including the cleaning of hand tools and basic cleaning and maintenance of lawnmowers.
- Assist in the development of horticultural schemes, carry out the associated labour such as soil cultivation, manuring, site preparation and construction.
- Load, unload and move equipment and materials such as mowers, barrows, plants, soil, fertilisers, horticultural tools and sundries.
- Carry out the application of chemical pest control methods including calibration of sprayers and identification of a range of pests, diseases and weeds.
- Maintain games facilities and areas including spiking, scarifying, top-dressing, fertilising and also marking of games areas and erection/dismantling of posts.
- Maintain the general safety of users on site, ensure orderly conduct and prevent misuse and nuisance to other users and local residents.
- Start and finish at the appropriate location daily, to obtain and use keys for access to gates and buildings and operation of alarms as required, and undertake any cleansing, waste collection or gardening activities at any relevant location to the required standards in all weather conditions.
- Maintain the orderly condition of grounds and buildings, that is, cleaning, moping, sweeping, hoeing, raking, mowing, edging, removal of litter and rubbish etc. and the movement of equipment and materials (tables, chairs and machinery).
At least six months' relevant experience of each of the following:
- cleaning an outdoor area and undertaking gardening duties, for example, grass cutting, hedge trimming, planting, etc;
- dealing with members of the public, and
- an awareness of health and safety issues, including the safe use of machinery and/or equipment or including complying with correct PPE and Manual Handling.
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link or contact Robyn Barry. Robyn.Barry@staffline.co.uk
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles. As there are so many applications, unsuccessful candidates may not be contacted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.