Our Client requires a Temporary Geographical Information Officer for a 3 month role to assist in the provision of technical advice towards the Council implementing a GI Strategy, developing GI capabilities and to assist in delivering GI input to major Council projects such as Local Development Plan, Community Planning, Emergency Planning and other statutory obligations, such as Waste collection. The Officer will also assist in assessing and advising on the Councils corporate GI need and short and medium term GI/IT Strategy.
Hrs: 37 per week
- A degree in Geographic Information Systems or a degree in Geography with GIS modules.
- GIS skills - able to use ESRI GIS software suite to load, manipulate, analyse and display data on digital mapping.
- Ability to utilise spatial databases technologies using National Mapping
- Experience applying cartographic skills to manipulate digital data
- Knowledge of web mapping technologies. Familiarity with OSNI/Spatial NI data and Web Services
- Timeliness - ability to work to deadlines
- Capable of presenting to internal senior management and to external businesses at events,
- At least one year experience working in GI.
- Be self-motivated and delivery driven. Ability to drive projects with minimal supervision.
Key Duties to include:
- Collate, prepare and format data into a GI format for importing to a range of GIS software packages.
- Analyse and display data on maps using various GIS methods including geo-statistical analysis, network analysis and spatial analysis of data.
- Web mapping technologies for example: Prepare, design and publish web mapping services that comply with web mapping standards such as OGC, INSPIRE.
- Create and edit metadata for a variety of Spatial datasets, including Inspire compliant data
- Work with Data transformation such as FME, GO Loader
- Experience of working with Oracle databases, writing and implementing SQL scripting
- Spatial data models- experience of working with UML, XML or GML.
- To assist in the planning and prioritisation of work programmes as directed and agreed by the Line Manager to ensure that all duties and tasks are carried within the specified and agreed time and performance targets.
- To assist in the development and delivery of GI Strategy, including liaise with software suppliers to the benefit of Council in progressing the Strategy.
- To participate as required in Project Teams for service development, continuous improvement initiatives, information sharing and in the training of Staff and others.
- To assist in corporate GIS projects, (including field work as required) and analysis to create precise and accurate data, maps, and/or visualisations to be used in decision making. This will include contributing to reports, supplying Senior Management and other Officers with key data presented in an appropriate format and supporting internal and external consultation processes.
- To assist in the development of working relationships with relevant partners and stakeholders to maximise corporate and community planning outcomes, consultation responses and to generate innovation in service delivery.
- To assist with the maintenance of the GIS system including external data capture from external partners and aid localised training to GIS users in relation to GI software and desktop products. Create and manage GIS databases and research new techniques and ways to apply GI Systems and knowledge
- Support the implementation of information sharing relating to Geographical Information (GI), including providing guidance and information on licensing, copyright and intellectual property, identifying risks, resource and technical issues, and making recommendations on how to address and resolve problems.
- To assist in liaison with LPS and other Councils and attend meetings and functions as required. To represent the Council at conferences, consultations, seminars and working parties (This may include out of hours working).
- To assist in innovative and creative ways of delivery of the Service aims and objectives. To inform and advise Managers on IT/GI Best Practice and roadmap to project delivery. Identify current and future sources of information from other government and statutory agencies. To assist and analyse and evaluate the impact of emerging GIS technologies to continuously improve the range and quality of GIS services delivered by the Council.
If interested please upload your cv to the link provided and a member of our team will be in touch.