Grounds Maintenance Supervisor required for ongoing temporary contract in Cookstown/ Dungannon location
Purpose and Function of Post
Assist the service manager in the management and delivery of an efficient, effective and customer focused service.
To manage resources to enable the smooth operation of the functions in line with service delivery and improvement plans.
Principal Duties and Tasks Performed:
- Assist with the planning, programming and scheduling of all operations.
- Responsible on a daily basis to prioritise the workload, taking into account all legal maintenance requirements, Health and Safety issues, service level agreements and site-specific requirements in accordance with agreed schedules, priorities and/or emergency requirements.
- Record, investigate, and report on complaints received in relation to service area and taking corrective action where necessary.
- Supervision employees including time keeping, time recording, absence management and performance management in line with Council policy, and assist with the preparation of the weekly payroll summary in conjunction with business support.
- Ensure all driver, vehicle and equipment pre use checks/inspections are carried out including the completion of written records and undertake regular vehicle and equipment audits to ensure compliance with health & safety requirements.
- The utilisation of all systems and process, including asset management/inspection and vehicle tracking systems to monitor service schedules and ensure same are kept up to date.
- Record, investigate and document accidents / incidents at work, damage to property and other information in relation to employer and public liability insurance claims against the Council using all appropriate information including CCTV footage from vehicle mounted camera systems and Council property where applicable.
- Open and close Council Depots and other Council facilities as may be required and act as key holder.
- Provision of induction training to all new employees and assess and arrange any necessary refresher and additional training for existing employees.
- Ensure that work is carried out in a safe manner in accordance with Council policies and procedures and that employees comply at all times with all Health & Safety requirements as laid down in the Health & Safety at Work (NI) Order and any other relevant legislation.
- Carry out risk assessments to reduce/eliminate risk including the development of Safe Systems of Work and provision of related Tool Box talks to employees.
- Frequently advise the Service Officer or Manager, using specialist knowledge of plant equipment and site specific needs, on the suitability of calling out external contractors when the service demands, this could be based on time, specialisation, site demands or availability of parts.
- Ensure that all works are carried out within a set timescale, and with the minimal disruption to the relevant site, service or property owner, this will include daily alterations to the working pattern to meet changing service demands.
- Meet with contractors at various locations as directed in order to disseminate site-specific knowledge to enable works to be carried out.
- Work to oral and written instructions and plans and drawings as required.
- Responsible for ensuring that all compliance inspections are carried out and actioned, for example memorial safety, off street car park inspections, Streetworks compliance, amenities, etc.
- To be responsible for ensuring that the correct skills mix is available to cover out of hours/emergency response work (E.g. snow/ice clearance, events support/stewarding, burials, corporate emergency responses, etc)
- Carry out inspection of work sites/areas and Contractors work including checking quality of work, response times and general customer satisfaction, carry out any first line actions that may be required as a result of such inspections.
- Participating in the Council's recruitment and selection process.
- Liaise and provide cover for other Supervisors in the Environment and Property Directorate as required.
- To undertake training, assessment and any other duty as required to comply with service requirements or to enhance and protect the reputation and public profile of the Council.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Delivery of council wide Horticultural and Agricultural operations (including the use of in house teams and third party services)
- Coordination of actioning of defects following inspections e.g. off street car parks, play parks council facilities, complaints from public/stakeholders etc.
- Assisting with the management of ground maintenance at all council facilities
- Preparation and update of assets lists, training records, H&S documentation, (including toolbox talks, risk assessments method statements etc.), procurement actions, stock control etc.
- Monitoring and management of works including in house and third party operations
- Preparation of written reports as required
- Updating and management of staff records including time keeping absences and sickness etc.
- Experience - Essential
Applicants must provide specific and personal examples of having a minimum 1 year's relevant experience in the following areas:
- Supervision of a team of staff within a related function;
- Working within Environmental Services or a similar environment;
- Management of plant, equipment and premises;
- Working with health and safety regulations.
- Proficiency in the use of I.T. systems, including a working knowledge of Microsoft. Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Applicants must possess a full, current driving licence which enables them to drive in Northern Ireland and a vehicle available for official business, or have access to a form of transport which enables them to meet the requirements of the post in full1.
1Please be advised that this alternative is a "reasonable adjustment" specifically for applicants with disabilities who, as a result of their disability, are unable to hold a full, current driving licence.