- Egg Room - Standards of performance are met when:
- The eggs are loaded onto setting trolleys in the correct order ensuring quality and quantity of eggs are correct
- Paperwork is completed correctly
- Eggs are handled with due care and attention
- Egg Setting - Standards of performance are met when:
- The setting plan provided by the Hatchery Manager is followed
- The eggs are placed correctly in the setters, at the required temperature, humidity and ventilation
- The time of setting, setter numbers and trolley numbers have all been recorded on the setting sheet.
- The setter has been left running correctly with the alarm on
- Egg Transfer - Standards of performance are met when:
- Eggs are transferred onto Hatcher trolleys in the correct order with flocks kept separate in accordance with the setting sheet.
- All bangers and rejects are removed and recorded
- Transfer damage is kept to a minimum
- Hatcher trolleys are placed in the hatchers in the correct order and the Hatcher numbers have been recorded against the corresponding eggs.
- The Hatcher has been left running correctly with the alarm on
- Any problems identified with individual flocks are reported
- Take Off - Standards of performance are met when:
- Birds are removed from hatchers in the correct order as listed on the hatch sheet
- Cull chicks are removed
- Birds from each flock are counted separately and accurately
- Number of chicks from each flock are recorded separately
- Chicks are handled in the correct manner causing no stress or welfare issues
- Washing/cleaning - Standards of performance are met when:
- Trays/boxes are washed using relevant equipment and to the correct standards
- Each area is cleaned after use as instructed in the relevant SOP for that area
- Microbiological test results meet (or are better than) the Moy Park standard
- The area is set up ready for the next use
- Protective clothing is used where appropriate
- Maintenance - Standards of performance are met when:
- All appropriate maintenance procedures have been carried out
- Area is left safe and ready for use
- Any other duties, that may be required by the manager
Reporting Relationships/Social Conditions:
The employee is a member of a team of hatchery operatives, reporting to the management team. Effective liaison, team working and interaction with other operatives and supervisory staff is essential.
The job is performed mainly in a comfortable hatchery environment(16oC +) rotating between both hatcheries as required and involves extensive periods standing. The employee is required to operate effectively; processing, packing, boxing, labelling and counting product as required. It is imperative that the employee is aware of health and safety regulations and adheres to them.
Competencies, Knowledge and Experience required:
- Must be able to have good understanding of English language (spoken & written)
- Must be literate and numerate.
- Must be able to think clearly.
- Must be able to work as a team member.
- Must have a positive attitude to work and others
- Good manual dexterity is essential.
- Ability to handle livestock is essential.
- Good communication skills are desirable.
- The ability to work on own initiative and learn new skills is desirable.
- Previous hatchery and/or production and/or livestock and/or cleaning experience is desirable.
- Evidence of mechanical aptitude is desirable
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Take reasonable care the Health and Safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your actions.
- Work in a safe manner and observe the Company Health and Safety Rules and Procedures.
- Use the protective clothing and equipment provided.
- Report to your Line Manager any incidents that have led to or could have led to injury or an accident or have affected the environment.
- Report all injuries promptly that occur to your self at work and obtain the necessary first aid treatment.
- Cooperate with Managers and other personnel of the Company to achieve a healthy and safe workplace environment.
- Help in the investigation of accidents in order to prevent recurrence.
- Observe the Company personal hygiene requirements.
- Set an example of safe, correct behaviour, particularly to new entrants and young persons.
- Report any hazard / defect you may observe promptly to your immediate line manager.
- Report any shortcomings in systems of work or procedures to your line manager.
- Not to interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health, safety and welfare or yourselves or your work colleagues.
- To comply with safe systems of work at all times
- To advise managers when not trained for tasks you are being asked to carry out.
Any employee breaching employee health and safety responsibilities will be liable for investigation which may result in disciplinary action in accordance with the Company's disciplinary policy.