Health & Safety Officer
- Understand and ensure that the implications and duties imposed by new Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments, H.S.E. ACOPS, Guidance Notes and Codes of Practice are brought to the attention of the Board of Directors and
- Understand the application of the Health and Safety at Work Order 1978, the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations and other secondary legislation from the enabling
- Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and effects of such legislation and CPD portfolio in conjunction with the training
- To develop and communicate a policy of safety, health, well-being and environmental management including operational safe systems of work. Evaluate practices, procedures & facilities to establish and maintain a positive health & safety culture at all levels of the organization and with external
- Ensure adequate means of distributing and communicating health, safety and welfare information to ensure that good communications relating to H&SE matters exist between employer and employees and are
- Liaise with the person appointed in the role of Departmental Manager over the full range of their duties and responsibilities, with respect to inspections, audits, report recommendations, changes in legislation and advice obtained from other
- To recommend risk control measures and advise on the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees.
- Ensure that all "assessments" as required by legislation are conducted and reviewed at relevant intervals and to maintain records of the same. To ensure a policy of proactive planning in relation to risk mitigation.
- Conduct health and safety inspections and prepare reports on a daily and weekly basis including KPI appraisals.
- Advise the H&SE Manager and Departmental Manager if situations are found, that in the opinion of the Safety Officer, require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation.
- To notify the H&SE Manager if the corrective action agreed after any workplace inspection is not implemented by the arranged
- To ensure that investigations into all accidents, incidents and near-miss are carried out and to record the findings on the relevant forms with corrective improvement action. To advise and support departmental managers in such corrective
- To set a personal example by wearing appropriate personal protective clothing/equipment and observing all safety requirements/procedures. To act in a professional and ethical manner in the execution of the role
- Monitoring health and safety risks and hazards in the workplace and advise on preventative and protective control measures within a risk evaluation
- Advising employees on how to minimise or ultimately avoid risks and hazards in the workplace.
- Ensuring the business and contractors are legally compliant with all health and safety legislation in relation to facilities
- Being responsible for the management of safety tours, inspections and audits in the workplace including operations, contractor control and waste management. To complete and retain all documentation in relation to H&SE reviews and
- To manage a system of environmental best practice and waste control, collecting and recording such necessary data and actively assist with the achievement of ISO14001
- Management of health and safety monitoring systems and policies in the workplace including emergency procedures (such as fire alarm drills) and organising emergency teams such as fire marshals
Education, Experience & Competencies:
- A passion and dedication for the role and ability to work to key targets and performance indicators
- Minimum NEBOSH certificate credit or NVQ level 4 in occupational health and safety
- Minimum 3 years within an engineering or manufacturing related industry at safety officer level
- Strong communicator with the ability to chair and control meetings across vertical and horizontal management
- Proven ability to carry out risk evaluations and document suitable and sufficient assessments
- A strong understanding of the primary legislation and practical application
- Capable of using micro soft computer packages
- Ability to attend night shift inspections
- NEBOSH Fire risk assessment certificate *
- NEBOSH environmental management certificate *
- NEBOSH Diploma (NVQ level 5) *
- A1 assessor *
- Relevant train the trainer certification