MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
- Support the Head of Resilience & Sustainability (Interim) in Resilience matters and deputise where required
- To assist with the development, promotion, implementation and regular review of the Health, Safety and Resilience Strategies, Policies, Procedures and Plans,
- Deliver the Departmental H&S Business Plan across Council in support of the Corporate Plan and in compliance with all legal and statutory requirements.
- To provide specialist advice and guidance to the Head of Resilience & Sustainability (Interim) and all Heads of Service, Managers and staff in matters relating to health, safety and well-being.
- To fulfil the statutory role of 'competent person' as outlined in Regulation 7 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work (NI) Regulations 2000 and also support regulatory compliance / technical support for all associated council operational tasks
Assist with the development, implementation, promotion, monitoring, evaluation, enforcement and review of the Council's Corporate Health, Safety and Resilience Strategies.
Assist Head of Resilience & Sustainability (Interim) in implementation of Councils Emergency Plans and Pandemic Plans, ensuring corporate resilience is maintained throughout incident and recovery management.
Lead on preparing all supporting policies and procedures. Identify any internal or external changes with the potential to affect these documents and prepare reports accordingly for the Head of Resilience & Sustainability (Interim).
Act as the primary source of specialist technical advice and guidance to management and staff on matters relating to Health, Safety and Well-being, including informing and facilitating internal policy review and development.
Assist Head of Resilience & Sustainability (Interim) in drawing up the annual business plans for the section, implementing the work programme.
Identify and co-ordinate promotional campaigns for Health Safety and Resilience as required.
Participate in cross-departmental working groups to deliver corporate and service objectives internally and externally.
Actively promote and drive a culture of continuous improvement in terms of health, safety and well-being across the Council, and engage staff at all levels to achieve this goal.
Support the Head of Resilience & Sustainability (Interim) in the development of networks, partnerships and working groups with internal and external stakeholders and service providers (including other public bodies) to deliver improved health, safety and wellbeing services.
Support the Head of Resilience & Sustainability (Interim) in interactions with the Health and Safety Executive regarding all health, safety and wellbeing matters, including preparation of relevant reports.
Be the point of contact for all work-related accidents / incidents (to include personal accidents and motor vehicle type accidents) and to manage the accident / incident management system, including overseeing investigations, compiling reports, liaising with insurers / legal defence teams and attending court as necessary.
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline e.g. risk management, health and safety, environmental health etc.
- A relevant professional qualification e.g. NEBOSH
- Chartered membership of a relevant professional body
Consideration may be given to those candidates who do not hold the above academic qualification but who can demonstrate a minimum of 4 year's relevant experience as outlined below.
2 years relevant experience in a Health and Safety role including;
A)Policy implementation, training
B)Providing advice and guidance to managers
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Have a proactive approach to Health and Safety
- Access to a form of transport that enables the postholder to fulfil the requirements of the post
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as required
- Have detailed and current knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation and its application in the workplace
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Good understanding of current health initiatives and how to promote these in the workplace
- Full current driving licence or, if a disability prevents driving, access to a suitable form of transport to enable the duties of the post to be carried out in full.
- To be available from time to time to carry out duties outside of normal working pattern and in addition to basic contracted hours. Such additional hours will be remunerated in line with Council's approved policies at that time.
(Full Job Description available on request)