Legal Officer (staff officer)
Staffline are working in partnership with a large public sector organisation to recruit a temporary Legal Officer to start ASAP for a duration of 6 Months (initially)
Pay rate: 0-12 week's £9.00pr hour
13+ week's £15.87pr hour
Location: Belfast, BT2
Hours: Mon - Fri (9.00am - 5.00pm)
- A law degree eg LLB or LLM
- a degree in any other discipline plus a recognised professional legal qualification.
- At least one year's post educational employment experience in a legal environment.
Practical experience in the preparation of cases for presentation before a Court of Law and/or an Industrial and Fair Employment Tribunal.
- An understanding of relevant anti-discrimination legislation and industrial relations practice.
- Experience in giving advice on employment matters and in the area of discrimination generally.
- Advising actual or prospective Claimants who believe that they may have suffered unlawful discrimination and who wish to pursue complaints to a Tribunal or Court.
- Preparing documentation and reports on applications for assistance for submission to the Commission.
- Gathering and assessing evidence in order to evaluate merits of cases and to assist the evaluation of the strategic potential of cases.
- Preparing and drafting documentation relevant to the prosecution of cases including legal pleadings and witness statements on behalf of Complainants as required.
- Attending consultations, case management discussions, call overs, Tribunal and court hearings.
- Liaison with, and instruction of, barristers; attendance at court hearings and consultations.
- Maintaining accurate progress records of all applications for assistance and funded cases (including updating all information on a database) in accordance with case management standards; Ensuring all work is carried out within allocated budgets; and reporting on the conduct of casework at regular reviews with the Senior Legal Officer.
- Undertaking legal project work as required; such as legal research; drafting information for use in publications (including ECNI website); preparation of statistical and other information on Commission assisted cases.
Business Planning, Delivery and Review
- Contribute to the formulation and review of Commission and Directorate strategies, plans and policies.
- Ensure the full achievement of objectives as allocated within directorate, team and personal workplans; taking appropriate steps to improve service delivery.
- Contribute to the assessment of resource needs and co-ordinate resources allocated to your work, at all times controlling costs and seeking best value.
Management / Co-ordination
- Co-ordinate activities and evaluate outputs, outcomes and impacts to ensure that objectives remain on target and are achieved; maintain records and use established project management approaches; and liaise with contractors, colleagues and others, as appropriate to ensure progress of key actions.
- Recruit / select and co-ordinate staff / contractors as required, facilitating them to deliver business objectives and improve performance.
- Meet the Commission's requirements with regard to internal control and business improvement, ensuring compliance with the Commission's governance and quality standards and ensuring that proper standards of work performance and conduct are maintained.
- Promote a positive approach to equal opportunities having regard to the Commission's equal opportunities policies. Adhere to all other Commission policies.
- Report to the Commission, its Committees and stakeholders on relevant matters and preparing papers as allocated.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Lesley-Anne Fitzgerald will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**