Required to work at any site within the Borough under the Council's control.
37 hours per week - Tuesday - Friday 7.30 am - 5.15 pm - £10.59ph
- Responsible for any vehicle, equipment, passengers etc allocated for the purpose of waste collection, cleansing, recycling or other appropriate service provided by the Environmental Services Department. This involves working as part of a small team and includes duties connected with street cleaning, the collection and transfer to a designated location of household, industrial, commercial waste, recyclables and any other waste from a variety of locations eg houses, shops, schools, business premises, civic amenity sites, depots, entries and streets. Duties will be undertaken incorporating the use of a full range of refuse collection containers, vehicles and equipment.To take part in periodic training to improve personal and team performance and provide on the job training to new members of staff including casuals or agency, including instructing other operatives in the use of plant and vehicle equipment and other training issues relating to the refuse collection and recycling operations.
- To drive and be personally responsible for LGV driving duties on any vehicle provided by the Environmental Services Department. Driving duties include inspecting, driving, cleaning and washing. To collect vehicle from operational base and be conversant with all aspects of existing and new equipment.
- To be responsible alternatively for non LGV driving duties on any other vehicle provided by Lame Borough Council. To dispose of rubbish at the landfill site or other designated disposal point.
- To be responsible for any other duties in the event that driving duties are not required. These duties may be allocated anywhere in the Borough and include emptying/cleaning litter or dog waste bins and clearance of any illegal dumping including dead animals.
- To be familiar with the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work (NI) Order, with responsibility for ensuring that all matters pertaining to the health and safety of themselves, all other staff and all members of the public are fully complied with.
- The sweeping, collection and removal of all litter, dirt, leaves etc from public places including roads, pavements and pedestrianized areas as may be required from time to time.
- Assist, advise and deal with enquiries/complaints for members of the public in a polite and courteous manner ensuring that the best operational relationships are maintained.
- To dispose of rubbish at the Landfill Site or designated disposal point.
- In the event of inclement weather preventing normal working, undertake such alternative tasks as may be allocated by management. However the duty of bin collections needs to be carried out in extreme weather conditions also.
- To manage and prioritise the daily workload. To be personally responsible for small implements eg brushes and shovels and larger vehicle eg Big Bite.
- To complete vehicle daily record sheets * mileage, fuel, defects and returns to line managers daily.
- To undertake any inspection process required to ensure that materials presented for recycling are not contaminated by non appropriate materials. This will include both pre and post emptying of the receptacle.
- To observe all vehicle servicing instructions issued and complete all duties involved. In the event of a breakdown, notify the line managers immediately.
- To use telecommunication facilities when necessary.
- To operate any collection systems as required (eg bin, bo) including bin lifts containing bin weighing equipment, vehicle safety equipment, bins with data chips and to report to management any defects to such equipment in a timely manner and to assist new employees in use of such equipment.
- To assist with the collation of data relating to individual premises including the use of any computerised or manual data capture systems and to present any necessary reports as required.
- To assist as required with any promotional activities designed to encourage the Public to recycle, including personal contact with the public and assist with any public survey work as required.
- Reporting to the Line Manager, on completion of the daily tasks, any which had not been completed on the prescribed day for whatever reason.
- Adherence to the principles and all instructions in relation to Health and Safety legislation, especially covering the wearing of appropriate protective and reflective clothing, the safe lifting of heavy objects etc and ensuring the safety of members of the public and other Council staff.
- Assist with snow clearance and gritting of footways as required.
- To undertake other duties such as Recycling Operations and Street Sweeping and associated functions, when not required for Refuse Collection.
- To comply with any reasonable request as may be made from time to time by the line managers.
- To carry out the duties of the post in such a manner as to safeguard and enhance the profile and reputation of the Council and ensure that a proper customer focus is maintained in all aspects of service delivery.
- Driving and operating the tele handler and any other equipment at the Recycling Centres as required.
- To enable repair/maintenance of vehicles by delivering/collecting them to/from approved repair facilities.
- To operate weighbridge systems owned by either Council or private processor to facilitate data collection.
- To act as key holder at various Council recycling centres.
- To carry out any other duties commensurate with the post.
Possess a current unendorsed Cat C Driving Licence
Driver CPC qualification
Have at least 2 years continuous LGV Driving experience