LGV Driver Labourer / Ballymena Area/ £10.59ph / Ongoing Temporary / Mon-Frid 37hpw
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Provide general driving support to Operational Services to ensure that all refuse is removed from household, industrial and commercial premises such as houses, shops, schools, business premises for appropriate disposal by working as part of a small team.
Responsible for any vehicle, equipment, passengers etc. allocated for the purpose of waste collection, cleansing, recycling or other appropriate services.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service Delivery
- Operate all vehicle systems which ensure the safety and security of the vehicle, staff and the public.
- Take part in periodic training to improve personal and team performance and provide job training to new members of staff including casuals or agency, including instructing other operatives in the use of plant and vehicle equipment and other training issues relating to the refuse collection and recycling operations.
- Drive and be personal responsible for LGV driving duties on any vehicle provided by the Operational Services Department. Driving duties include inspecting, driving, cleaning and washing. Collect vehicle from operational base and be conversant with all aspects of existing and new equipment.
- Responsible alternatively for non LGV driving duties on any other vehicle provided by Council. Dispose of rubbish at the transfer station or other designated disposal point.
- Responsible for any other duties in the event that driving duties are not required. Duties may be allocated anywhere in the Borough and clearance of any illegal dumping.
- Sweeping, collection and removal of all litter, dirt, leaves etc. from public places including roads, pavements and pedestrianised areas as may be required from time to time.
- Assist, advise and deal with enquiries/complaints for members of the public in a polite and courteous matter ensuring that the best operational relationships are maintained.
- Dispose of rubbish at the Transfer Station or designated disposal point.
- Undertake such alternative tasks as may be allocated by management in the event of inclement weather preventing normal working.
- Manage and prioritise daily workload. Personally responsible for small implements e.g. brushes and shovels.
- Complete vehicle daily record sheets - mileage, fuel, defects and return to Line Managers daily.
- Undertake any inspection process required to ensure that materials presented for recycling are not contaminated by non-appropriate materials, to include both pre and post emptying of the receptacle.
- Observe all vehicles servicing instructions issued and complete all duties involved, notifying Line Managers immediately of any breakdowns.
- Use telecommunications facilities when necessary.
- Operate any collection systems as required (e.g. bin, box) including bin lifts containing bin weighing equipment, vehicle safety equipment, bins with data chips and to report to management any defects to such equipment in a timely manner and to assist new employees in use of such equipment.
- Assist with the collation of data, relating to individual premises including the use of any computerised or manual data capture systems and to present any necessary reports as required.
- Assist as require with any promotional activities designed to encourage the public to recycle, including personal contact with the public and assist with any public survey work as required.
- Report to Line Manager, on completion of the daily tasks, any which had not been completed on the prescribed day for whatever reason.
- Assist with snow clearance and gritting of footways as required.
- Undertake other duties such as recycling operations and street sweeping and associated functions, when not required for refuse collection.
- Comply with any reasonable request as may be made from time to time by Line Managers.
- Repair/maintain vehicles by delivering/collection them to/from approved repair facilities.
- Operate weighbridge systems owned by either Council or private processor to facilitate data collection.
Valid Category C Driving Licence
Valid Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) card
A minimum of two years' continuous LGV driving experience.
Any penalty points active on the driving license must be declared along with the relevant code, these will then be assessed for relevance to the duties of the post.
Full Job Description available on request