Main Purpose of Post
- As a key member of the Finance Management Team provide clear leadership and direction on the development and implementation of all aspects of Council's finance department.
- Undertake a range of management accountancy duties ensuring good governance and budgetary control of Council's finances relating to the preparation of monthly management accounts, general ledger, budgetary control and financial ICT Systems.
- Undertake variance analysis of actual costs to budgets, that ensures budget controls are maintained.
- Undertake periodic forecasts with the Directorates and Budget Holders, and support decision making.
- To maintain the Council Financial management Information System (General Ledger) ensuring it is effective and fit for purpose.
- To act as systems administrator for the financial ICT system. To provide a specialist finance advisory and support service to management, staff and members within Council working collaboratively with senior managers and heads of service in order to deliver corporate priorities and service improvement.
- Create a strong sense of purpose, ambition, and a customer-orientated culture.
- To contribute to the Business Plan within Finance.
- Contribute to the strategic direction within the Finance Department supporting the development and implementation of strategies, policies, projects and initiatives that deliver the Council's key aims and objectives.
- Responsible for the management, leadership, development, motivation of members of staff under the post holder's supervision in order to bring about continuous improvement in finance services.
- Ensure that the department complies with all statutory and legislative requirements by adhering to these requirements and working in accordance with good governance and health and safety requirements.
- Ensure that all responsibilities are carried out in a timely and effective manner and that general confidentiality is maintained in all areas relating to the work of the Council.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To prepare the monthly management accounts for Council in accordance with relevant Codes of Practice and professional and technical guidelines.
- To review the monthly management accounts, associated variances, consulting and liaising with Directors and/or Heads of Service. Producing financial projections as and when required.
- To assist with the preparation of annual Capital and Revenue Estimates.
- To act as a Business Partner with a Directorate/Department as specified by the Financial
- To assist with the production of annual budgeted cash flow and monthly monitoring of cash flows, to ensure adequate funding is in place to meet anticipated liabilities.
- To assume the role of system administrator for the financial ICT system including ensuring all software updates are applied as necessary and the allocation of users roles, responsibilities and permissions.
- To assume the role of web editor for the Finance Department ensuring all financial data published on the Council's website is kept up to date and relevant.
- To liaise with the Local Government Auditor, in areas of specific responsibility, on matters pertaining the Year End Accounts and prepare and co-ordinate the necessary information as required. Follow up and ensure LGA recommendations are implemented.
- To be responsible for the management and co-ordination of FOI requests within the Finance Department.
- Advise and assist in the implementation of Economic Appraisals in accordance with advice from the Local Government Auditor as required.
- To undertake Value for Money exercises and specialist projects with a financial context and to prepare and present reports to senior management and Council as required.
- To contribute to the overall business plan of the finance department and participate in the on-going development of finance, including the formulation and review of methodologies, the development of policies and practices and quality control procedures.
- To keep under review existing financial policies and procedures and develop new policies and procedures as and when required.
- To develop effective working relationships with senior and operational managers at all levels throughout the Council and to provide assistance on ad-hoc issues.
- To examine systems of internal financial control throughout the Council and making recommendations for improving effectiveness.
- To liaise with internal audit ensuring agreement and implementation of any recommendations.
- To carry out investigations, as directed, into potential fraud or other financial mis-management cases in liaison with the Financial Accountant.
- To represent the Finance Department as and when required, within the post holder's sphere of responsibility.
- To assist with Risk Management/Register and Risk Assessment in accordance with good corporate governance and internal control.
- To undertake the duties in such a way as to enhance and protect the reputation and public profile of the Council.
- To adhere to prudential code.
- To assist with the preparation and completion of the Whole of Government Accounts (WGA) workbook.
- To participate on recruitment and selection panels including shortlisting and interviewing as and when required.
- To participate in tender assessment panels as and when required.
- The post holder will be responsible to the Chief Finance Officer for all records held, created or used as part of their business, including corporate and administrative records whether paper-based or electronic and also including emails, All such records are public records and are accessible to the general public, with limited exceptions, under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the Environment Information Regulations 2004 and the Data Protection Act 1998.
- To respond to additional requests such as Audit Questions, Treasury returns, Freedom of Information requests, and DOE pro-forma as and when required.
- Manage, set and monitor key performance indicator targets and standards.
- Support the Council and elected Members to fulfill their democratic role and support democratic procedures supporting strong and transparent governance.
- Lead on effective internal communications within the finance function and across other service areas.
- Develop strong working relationships with external stakeholders, including government and other agencies, to ensure that the Council understands other parties' perspectives and priorities.
- Prepare and support the development of the Monthly Management Accounting Pack, that will be delivered to Council Members, Directors and Budget Holders.
- Have a degree in Business and Finance, Accountancy or equivalent qualification
- Be a current qualified member of one of the CCAB bodies or the Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland
- Have 3 years' experience in the following areas
- Good communication skills and experience working across multiple stakeholders
- Strategic focus and experience forecasting through uncertainty.
- Management and Delivery of a finance service in a multi-departmental organization.
- Reporting directly to senior management on financial matters including providing advice and guidance and preparing management information
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets, including variance analysis and reporting.
- Preparation of Management Reports and delivery of those reports to a wider stakeholder group
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft office, especially excel.
Details of role
37hrs per week
£18.58 temporary ongoing role for approx 12 months
Interested in this role please forward your cv to email@example.com or call Siobhan on 028 25642699 to discuss further