MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Responsible to the Head of Corporate Services, in the operational delivery of a range of statutory duties, such as Freedom of Information, Environmental Information Regulations and Equality to ensure that Council complies with all statutory and legislative requirements.
Responsible to the Head of Corporate Services in monitoring consultation documents and coordinating responses for consideration by Council. Responsible for maintaining of Policy Register and Policy Development support.
Responsible to the Head of Corporate Services in the management and delivery of transformational change and continuous improvement by ensuring performance management arrangements drive service and organisational improvement.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service Delivery
- Implement and maintain a comprehensive strategic policy initiation and development process including review and response service to ensure that a robust suite of Policies are developed to fulfil the Corporate objectives and ensure the Council complies with all relevant legislation and implements its statutory obligations in an effective and efficient manner.
- As key part of the Policy team, deliver or commission cost effective, efficient, high quality, responsive, robust and integrated services in line with Council's responsibilities and corporate priorities for the residents of Mid and East Antrim.
- Support Line Managers and staff in providing value for money services and proactively bringing about improvement and development.
- Interpret public policy circulars and documents, eg NI Executive, EU, Public Bodies etc and prepare advisory papers to update the Chief Executive, SMT and Elected Members.
- Responsible for performance of Council's statutory duties under the Freedom of Information, Environmental Regulations, Rural Needs Act and Public Ombudsman Services Act.
- Horizon scan the external environment identifying government policy and legislative consultations that are applicable to Council at a local and national level.
- Maintain and review a Consultation Register and prepare Consultation responses for Council in a timely manner.
- Ensure Council meets its statutory duties with regard to equality, maintaining the equality scheme, undertaking equality screening and progressing the Equality Action Plan and Disability Action Plan.
- Lead responsibility for coordinating and negotiating regulator investigations e.g. Equality Commission, NIPSO, Information Commissioner.
- Responsible for the drafting of key reports and papers to support the Head of Corporate Services in the execution of their duties.
- Support the Head of Corporate Services in the development and delivery of key strategic projects.
- Responsible for the performance of Council's Complaints, Comments and Compliments Policy.
- Develop and deliver officer training programme in relation to policies and statutory duties under remit of responsibilities.
- Represent Council on regional subgroups.
- Adhere to and comply with all Council policies and procedures relevant to this role, including arrangements for risk management.
- Ensure effective controls, assurance and risk management strategies are implemented within the Department and contribute to the Council's compliance with its corporate governance requirements.
- Performance Improvement
- Ensure the Council's performance management framework is consistently implemented and provide advice, support and guidance to staff on personal development requirements, initiating further training where appropriate as well as setting annual performance improvement objectives at departmental and individual level.
- Participate in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of the Department Business Plan and relevant Service Plans responding to changing trends and citizen needs.
- Achieve high standards of personal performance, through meeting agreed personal targets and undertaking planned programmes of professional development.
- Ensure high standards of performance of staff, acknowledge good performance and tackle poor performance positively and effectively.
- Examine opportunities to gain efficiencies and improve effectiveness including collaborative partnerships, joint working and other innovative approaches to achieve best value in the use of public money.
- Financial and Resource Management
- Ensure efficient and effective financial management by contributing to the development of and working within agreed budgets and finances to deliver service priorities and by ensuring that these budgets are effectively managed, implemented and adhered to across the department.
Full Job Description available on request.
Closing Date for Application Monday 13th June 2022 at 4pm