Role: BESL / Policy Support Officer
Rate of Pay: £14.42phr
Duration: August 2022 with possible extension
Terms & Conditions: 37 hours per week on a flexible basis. This post may require evening and weekend work on occasions.
To provide policy support including research, development and drafting of policy documents and consultation responses. The officer will report to the Head of Policy & Governance but will support for specific assignments and time periods other team members as directed.
- Conduct research, develop briefing papers and support NILGA senior officers in preparing policy documents and consultation responses in a timely and effective manner
- Represent the views of NILGA and engage with member councils, the Partnership Panel, government departments and external organisations to inform policy development and drive initiatives to further the local government sector
- Provide support to NILGA's Senior Management Team on a strategic and on a task & finish basis as directed
- Develop a clear work plan focusing on outcomes to be achieved and engagement of relevant parties to secure 'buy-in' and firm commitment
- Support other functions within the NILGA work programme as part of a task and finish approach to key policy events, meetings, and awareness sessions as directed.
- Deliver effective communications (including presentations and written reports) to inform NILGA Members, councils and external organisations
- Any other duties as may be reasonably required consistent with the nature and level of the post.
- Qualified to a degree standard (or equivalent) and have one year's experience in a policy and development support role in local government or a similar sector with demonstrable experience in the areas a to d below
In lieu of qualification, have three years' experience in a policy and development support role in local government or a similar sector with demonstrable experience in areas a to d below:
- The undertaking of research, information gathering and analysis
- Drafting policy and briefing documents
- Assisting in policy development that includes communicating effectively and developing good working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Project management and co-ordination
- Excellent IT skills
- Excellent oral, written and presentational communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Hold a full current driving licence and access to transport, or access to transport to meet the requirements of the post.
Previous experience in one of the following policy areas:-
- Environmental policy
- Local Government Finance