Purpose: Portering services provide vital and essential support to all hospital departments. The post holder will undertake duties to ensure the provision of a smooth running, effective, efficient, fit for purpose portering service within the hospital. The range of duties listed below are those which may be undertaken by the post holder, either regularly or infrequently after appropriate and adequate training has been undertaken successfully.
- Assist in maintaining awareness of the Mission and values throughout the hospital in relation to all portering activities
- Support the Portering Services Officer in developing and maintaining best practice
- Demonstrate behaviours consistent with the values of the hospital
Ensure the provision of a consistently high portering service within designated patient service areas that are satisfactory to hospital management and the patient.
To ensure all portering services are delivered punctually and to suit the needs of the hospital.
· Man the main reception desk and general surveillance for security purposes of people entering and leaving the building.
· Ensure all contractors/ visitors are registered in the log book maintained at reception and all individuals entering the hospital on business are given the appropriate identification badge.
· Assist in reception of patients arriving to the hospital.
· Reception duties including receiving letters and parcels and distributing them to the appropriate department
· Deal with enquiries from patient, staff and visitors in a courteous and professional manner
· Receive deliver and store items from stores area and wards, including medical gases and check medical gases, stock check, placing orders, delivering and collecting , bloods, specimens and pharmacy items as requested
· Assist in the movement and transport of patients in a safe and appropriate manner to and from the wards and departments via means of walking, wheelchair or beds.
· Maintain hospital grounds in order to ensure neat and clean
· Carry out any cleaning as required of surface walls, floors, furniture and equipment. Clean patient transfer area.
· Preparation and maintenance of patient trolleys/ wheelchairs, including weekly oiling of wheels. Report any faults noted.
· Replace and change bed curtains as required
· Assist in the security of the hospital including the monitoring of security cameras and check all outer doors / windows are locked in the evening.
· Undertake security of premises and fire safety patrols. Control keys, lock and check all doors, and monitor CCTV
· Take precautions against fire, accidents, incidents and report to the appropriate staff
· Be aware of and comply with hospital policy on waste disposal.
· Collect and dispose of ward waste including clinical waste on a daily basis
· Collect and dispose of waste throughout the administrative areas of the hospital
· Collect and dispose of clean and soiled bed linen in the hospital
· Sort into bins according to waste. Arrange for compliance with and completion of all relevant documents to enable waste to be collected appropriately.
· Respond to all fire alarms within .
· Carry and respond to paging requests when carrying Portering services bleep. Carry an emergency bleep and react as required
· Prioritise workloads and respond to all requests in a polite and timely manner
· Work to set duties and tasks as outlined in weekly rota and procedures
· Ensure confidentiality is maintained at all times
· Maintain a good working relationship with all wards, departments, hospital staff members
· Ensure the hygiene standards are maintained within the designated areas and to ensure high levels of patient care maintaining a high level of cleanliness within assigned area, complimentary with cleaning schedules.
· Undertake any portering related activity at the request of the assigned manager in a motivated manner, utilising experience and initiative, ensuring activities are conducted in accordance with the assigned department's policies, protocols and portering requirements.
Health and Safety
· Advise on improvements that are required regarding equipment fixtures/fittings to provide quality care
· Ensure a safe environment for patients, relatives, staff and visitors in accordance with the obligations under the Health and Safety Legislation 2005
· Assist in observing and ensuring implementation and adherence to established policies and procedures e.g. health and safety, infection control, storage and use of controlled drugs etc
Quality, Risk and Patient Safety
· Participate in the Hospital's Accreditation Process and contribute to on-going monitoring, audit and evaluation of the service as appropriate
· Participate in quality and patient safety improvement initiatives, as required
Experience, Knowledge and Qualifications:
· Previous experience in a healthcare setting