Role: BESL / Principal Legal Officer
Rate of Pay: £27.04phr
Department: Urology Services Enquiry
Duration: 51 weeks with possible extension
Hours: Monday to Friday
The person appointed will work under the direction and supervision of the Solicitor to the Inquiry. The person appointed will also work closely with the Inquiry Chair, QC, Senior and Junior counsel to the Inquiry, Panel D counsel and the Secretary to the Inquiry. The appointed person will:
* Contribute to legal advice and briefings provided by the legal team to the Chair on issues relating to the work of the Inquiry;
* Assist in organising, sorting and dealing with large quantities of documents in accordance with established Inquiry protocols;
* Assist in identifying further required documents;
* Assist with witness interviews and drafting witness statements as required;
* Contribute to the legal team's work in relation to public funding for legal representation of interested parties;
* Contribute to the provision of advice by the legal team on relevant legislation which will affect the Inquiry eg Data Protection and Freedom of Information;
* Assist the legal team in responding to any communications from members of the public and legal representatives of interested parties in relation to legal issues arising in connection with the Inquiry;
* Undertake other duties as directed by the Solicitor to the Inquiry;
The Temporary Worker must possess the following qualifications, knowledge and skills:
(a) At least 2:2 honours degree in law; and
(b) Be a *solicitor or barrister entitled to practice in Northern Ireland by the date of appointment.
*The Temporary Worker must be admitted as a solicitor or in the case of a barrister called to the Bar.
Professional Knowledge and Skills
* Proven legal research and drafting skills and experience of providing legal advice or conducting litigation.
* Experience of interviewing witnesses and drafting witness statements, dealing with vulnerable people and/or dealing sensitively with witnesses. Previous inquiry experience would be desirable but not essential.
* Ability to plan and manage service delivery within available resources to ensure overall business objectives are met.
* Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts and groups.
* Ability to analyse information on complex legal issues, apply sound judgement, make critical decisions, and influence and gain the commitment of others.
* Well developed communication skills (written and oral communication skills and also have up to date computer skills to keep pace with current IT requirements.
* Ability to prove excellent legal drafting skills and the ability to convey advice and information to non-specialists at all levels.
* Access to a form of transport may be necessary to undertake certain duties.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Kim Martin will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**