Public Prosecutor- Legal Assistant
Public Prosecutor- Legal Assistant required for a large public sector organisation based through the Northern Ireland Civil Service.
Salary: £20.66 p/h
Location: PPS, Foyle Chambers
Hours: 37 hours per week
Duration: Up to 12 months
JOB SUMMARY / MAIN PURPOSE:
The main duties of a Public Prosecutor will include:-
- Consideration of files submitted by police and government departments with a view to deciding, or advising, as to prosecution in cases alleging the commission of an offence which can be prosecuted in the Magistrates' Court and the Crown Court;
- Preparation of papers for prosecution, where appropriate, and directing such charges and evidence as is appropriate in each case;
- Prosecution of cases anywhere in Northern Ireland, in the Magistrates' Courts and, on occasion in the County Court;
- Provision of pre-prosecutorial advice and liaising and communicating with other criminal justice stakeholders including victims and witnesses.
- On occasion preparing committal papers in Indictable cases.
Qualified Barrister or Solicitor who is entitled to practise either at the Bar of Northern Ireland or as a Solicitor of the Court of Judicature of Northern Ireland.
One year's post qualification advocacy experience in criminal cases, gained within the last 6 years, in a Magistrates' court environment.
If you are interested and available for this position, please upload your CV to the link or contact Orlaith Fogarty. Orlaith.Fogarty@staffline.co.uk
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles. As there are so many applications, unsuccessful candidates may not be contacted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.