Role: BESL / Public Prosecutor Legal Assistant
Rate of Pay: £20.66 - £22.16phr
Location: Belfast Chambers
Duration: 12 months
Hours: 37hrs per week Monday to Friday
- Consideration of files submitted by police and government departments with a view to deciding, or advising, as to prosecution in cases alleging the commission of an offence which can be prosecuted in the Magistrates' Court and the Crown Court.
- Preparation of papers for prosecution, where appropriate, and directing such charges and evidence as is appropriate in each case.
- Prosecution of cases anywhere in Northern Ireland, in the Magistrates' Courts and, on occasion in the County Court:
- Provision of pre-prosecutorial advice and liaising and communicating with other criminal justice stakeholders including victims and witnesses.
- On occasion preparing committal papers in Indictable cases.
The above list is not exhaustive but gives a good indication of the main duties of the post. The emphasis on particular duties will vary over time according to business needs.
- In order to be designated, the successful applicants, at the time of appointment, must be a Barrister or Solicitor who is entitled to practise either at the Bar of Northern Ireland or as a Solicitor of the Court of Judicature of Northern Ireland.
- Have at least one year's post qualification advocacy experience in criminal cases, gained within the last 6 years, in a Magistrates' court environment.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake a Basic Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18 along with a CTC check. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.