Public Prosecutor ( Legal Assistant)
Role: BESL / Public Prosecutor / Legal Assistant
Rate of Pay: £20.66phr
Duration: 12 months
Hours: 37hrs per week
- 1st stage Case review - undertake a review of the case on first principles and provide recommendations to the SPP on evidence, initial actions, highlighting key issues or areas for Directing Officer consideration - and undertaking actions as requested by the DO on reply
- Reviewing the full submission of ABE/BWV. The role holder will then review and highlight to the SPP key elements, issues, information to allow the SPP to focus their time on reviewing key evidence.
- Undertaking all communication with Investigating Officers under the direction of the SPP to seek clarity of information, updates on cases, DIRs and any other activities requiring liaison between the SPP and the PSNI IO.
- Liaison and organisation of victim's engagement, court personnel engagement and 3rd parties relating to disclosure, 3rd party requests etc
- Engaging directly with the SCU Gateway team to highlight issues or areas of concern with standards of case files, quality of electronic evidence and noting trends.
- Review of past cases, researching precedent or any other legal requests from the SPP in order to case-build or support on direction or decision-making.
- Undertake case progress activities for SPPs when they are on undertaking Duty Prosecutor activities or are absent
- To provide advice and guidance to PSNI and delivery partners on Disclosure and 3rd Party requests, including streamlining pathways to evidence DIRs/PDIRs.
Must be a Barrister or Solicitor who is entitled to practise either at the Bar of Northern Ireland or as a Solicitor of the Court of Judicature of Northern Ireland.
Have at least one year's post qualification advocacy experience in criminal cases, gained within the last 6 years, in a Magistrates' court environment
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Kim Martin will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**