Senior Support Worker
Senior Support Worker - 37.5hpw - Coleraine Area
Supporting People to Develop and Maintain Key Skills
- Support people to understand and fulfil their responsibilities to look after their home in line with any tenancy agreements.
- Support people with domestic chores such as shopping, preparation of healthy meals, cleaning, gardening, washing clothes and ironing.
- Support people to manage their medication and finances as independently as possible.
- Support people to get any benefits they are entitled to.
- Support people to get help from the right people (e.g. their Social Worker, Doctor, Dentist etc).
- Act as a strong role model at all times for other staff and volunteers in terms of ensuring support promotes the development and maintenance of skills.
- Provide support in the use of person centred thinking tools and person centred approaches to ensure that the people we support have maximum choice and control and are supported to lead full and valued lives.
- Take responsibility as "Shift Leader" offering advice and guidance to other staff as required.
- Provide regular, good quality Person Centred Supervision to assigned staff.
- Chair and/or actively participate in meetings as required (e.g. team meetings, statutory meetings and meetings with the people we support and their families).
- Positively promote volunteering within the service, be familiar with volunteer processes and encourage volunteers in their role.
- Challenge any poor practice and report any concerns to your line manager.
- Maintain positive professional working relationships with key individuals and agencies.
- Represent the service and/or the organisation as required.
2. Administration and Monitoring
- Accurately and effectively maintain and store records and short reports within the service, using appropriate systems, templates and record keeping processes in relation to medication, finance, behaviours, incidents, communication, risk assessment etc.
- Use ICT systems to carry out the responsibilities of the post (e.g. Microsoft Office, HR and Finance information system, staff scheduling system).
- Have responsibility for Health & Safety checks including the escalation and coordination of maintenance and repair work, safe management and storage of medication etc.
- Report and maintain records of incidents, accidents and near misses for the people we support and staff as appropriate.
- Conduct regular checks of finance records of people supported, addressing and/or escalating any issues of concern in line with our policies and procedures.
- Professional Practice
- Work in line with Positive Futures' Mission, Values and Code of Conduct and Practice.
- Maintain up to date registration with the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC) or other relevant professional body and adhere to their Standards of Conduct and Practice.
- Take part in relevant learning and development courses / activities as required, and maintain your own mandatory training as required.
- Take part in Person Centred Supervision and performance review with your line manager.
- Read, understand and follow all policies, procedures and guidance, keeping up to date with any changes and/or developments.
- Seek to make continuous improvements in your area of work.
- Promote and encourage the involvement of the people we support in the everyday work of our services and the wider organisation.
- Understand and respect confidentiality and maintain personal data in line with Positive Futures' policies, procedures and guidance.
Essential Shortlisting Criteria
- At least 1 year's paid experience of supporting people with a learning disability and/or acquired brain injury and/or autistic spectrum condition within a health and social care setting
- At least 1 year's experience of development and/or implementation of Person Centred Care / Support Plans
- At least 1 year's experience of working as part of a team within a health and social care setting.
- Full, valid driving licence or an ability to travel independently to meet the requirements of the post
- Experience using standard office ICT applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
(Full Job Description available on request)