Tobacco Control Officer
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- Provide a shared tobacco control service, working across the following legacy Council areas; Antrim, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Carrickfergus, Coleraine, Cookstown, Magherafelt, Moyle, Newtownabbey and Larne.
- Responsible for monitoring and securing compliance with the Smoking (Northern Ireland) Order 2006, the Children and Young Persons (Protection from Tobacco) (Northern Ireland) Order 1991 and associated tobacco control legislation. Where necessary this will involve the instigation of legal proceedings and the issuing of fixed penalty notices.
- Responsible for coordinating activity within the Councils to which they are assigned to meet the relevant objectives set out in the Department of Health Social Services and Public Safety Tobacco Action Plan.
- Ensure that all duties and tasks are performed in accordance with specified time and quality targets.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Service Delivery
- Plan, prepare and deliver the full range of enforcement, investigation, educational and advisory duties associated with district council tobacco control functions in accordance with relevant work programmes and as required by the Head of Regulatory Services and nominated manager within each district council.
- Carry out planned visits to businesses to advise them of their legal rights and obligations under tobacco control legislation and to monitor compliance with such legislation.
- Carry out enforcement action including the serving of fixed penalty notices in cases of non-compliance in accordance with relevant Council policies.
- Investigate all complaints concerning tobacco control received from the general public or other sources.
- Provide advice, guidance and training on tobacco control issues to trade and industry associations, the general public, voluntary organisations and others as required.
- Keep up to date and be fully conversant with legislation, information, health data and research in relation to tobacco control and to disseminate to Councils.
- Proactively liaise with and work in partnership with other organisations (public, private, voluntary and community) in order to facilitate the effective delivery of Council tobacco control functions.
- Represent the constitute Councils at relevant local government meetings and with other Government Departments and other stakeholders.
- Develop promotional materials such as leaflets, posters and toolkits in accordance with agreed programmes of work.
- Act as the primary source of advice and support to staff and members within district councils in relation to tobacco control issues.
- Contribute to the achievement of Council and Departmental objectives and in particular to participate in Departmental and Council-wide project teams as directed by the nominated managers in the district councils to which the postholder is assigned.
- Carry out project work as directed by the Head of Regulatory Services.
- Participate in internal and external communication activities, including media interviews, as required.
- Responsible for organising personal work demands to ensure that all relevant agreed targets are achieved and a quality, customer focused Environmental Health service is delivered.
- Provide such reports, records and statistical information as required by the Head of Regulatory Services or nominated manager within each district council.
- Undertake duties in such a way as to enhance and protect the reputation and public profile of the district councils to which the postholder is assigned and Mid and East Antrim Borough Council in respect of the shared service model.
Applicants must have a Third level qualification (HNC or Higher) in environmental health, occupational health, health and safety, health promotion.
Be able to demonstrate, by providing personal and specific examples, that you have a minimum of six months' experience in and enforcement capacity.
Applicants must have 5 GCSE's or equivalent at grade C or above &
Be able to demonstrate, by providing personal and specific examples, that you have a minimum of five years' experience in an enforcement capacity.
A full current driving licence valid in the UK and access to a vehicle OR have access to a form of transport that enables you to carry out the duties of the post
Vacancy is for approx 1 year starting March 2021 possibly before this date
£15.78 per hour 37hrs per week Monday - Friday
Interested in this vacancy please forward your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org closing date Monday 18th January 12 noon