Tourism Assistant required for Magherafet until end of March 2023 approx (possible extension) 37hpw Mon-Frid - £11.84ph
Purpose and Function of Post
To provide a high quality visitor service through the Council's Visitor Information Centre by providing information and answering queries from visitors to the area and the general public, advising them on what to see and do, using local knowledge, along with independent research and printed reference sources.
Principal Duties and Tasks Performed:
- To act as first point of contact for customers providing a comprehensive range of Bridewell and visitor information services to the public visiting the Bridewell and the Visitor Information Centre including facility booking, retail facilities, stock control, selling of fishing licenses and Tourism advice.
- To carry out market research and marketing activity to assist in the promotion of the Bridewell, the Visitor Information Centre and the local area as a visitor destination as required. To upload information and update the tourism destination website and communicate with Communications department to upload content on tourism media portals and Council's website.
- To provide support to event organisers in the Region with a view to raising the profile of the area as a visitor destination.
- To assist in the implementation and delivery of tourism packages throughout Ireland, promoting the Mid Ulster District and the Sperrins Region as a short break destination and organise private tour guiding packages for the local community.
- To assist with the design and production of promotional materials (brochures, visitor guides, newsletters, advertisements) which assist in the promotion of Bridewell/Visitor Information Centre events and services as required.
- To provide administrative and clerical support to facility management, including the maintenance of information files and records
- To assist in the delivery, supervision and participation of arts/tourism events /activities/trade fairs etc as identified.
- Responsible for locking up and securing the Bridewell/Visitor Information Centre.
- Responsible for the processing of all financial transactions, reconciliations and balancing weekly reports for box office and visitor information services and assist with the preparation of income reports submitted to the Council finance department.
- To sell goods, assist in the management of stock control systems, including reordering of stock, and assist in the preparation and submission of audit and stock reports ensuring that appropriate and accountable audit procedures are adhered to within the facility
- To ensure the safety of visitors and staff at all times in compliance with Mid Ulster District Councils policies and the facility's fire and evacuation procedures.
- To provide appropriate training for newly appointed staff as instructed by management.
- To ensure the highest standards of cleanliness, tidiness and presentation within the facility at all times including the presentation at the reception area and foyer at all times
- To report faulty/broken resources or equipment using the appropriate procedures, as well as ensuring the safety and security of objects and artefacts within the centre reporting lost stolen or damaged items in accordance.
- Comply with Mid Ulster District Council's Health and Safety Policy and Codes of Practice and adhere to all equal opportunities policies and promote a positive approach to equality and diversity within the workplace. Act in accordance with the Code of Conduct for Local Government Employees.
- Any other duties relevant to the operational requirements of the Bridewell/Visitor Information Centre facility and Tourism Department which may be allocated from time to time by the facility management team.
- Qualifications and Experience
- Qualifications / Experience (Essential)
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs (Grades A-C) or equivalent including English Language and a numeracy based subject.
- Applicants must provide specific and personal examples of having at least 1 year's relevant experience to include:
- Working within the Tourism/Hospitality/Customer Service Sector Receptionist/Telephonist experience
- Use of Microsoft Office applications e.g., Word/Excel and PowerPoint or equivalent
- Experience of working within a team environment
- Qualifications / Experience (Desirable)
- A recognised qualification (GNVQ/NVQ/BTEC or 3rd level) in tourism or related subject