Main Purpose of Post
1. Responsible for the operation of the Visitor Information Centre and to be at the forefront of customer services within the Visitor Information Centre. Responsibilities including carrying out the necessary duties required in providing a welcoming, professional and helpful information service, to ensure customers make the most of their visit to the local area.
2. Ensure that all responsibilities are carried out in a timely effective manner and that general confidentiality is maintained in all issues relating to the work of the Council.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
3. To deliver a high standard of customer care to all our customers, delivered in a timely and professional manner and in association with our business partners, trade partners, suppliers and team members.
4. To provide visitors and residents with a welcoming and helpful service, that meets the customer needs, in all aspects of visitor information.
5. To assist visitors with their enquiries including providing an information service, advice, guidance and literature delivered in person, by telephone, fax, mail and email, on visitor attractions, events, activities, accommodation etc in the local area and Northern Ireland as a whole, to out of state visitors and local residents.
6. To assist the Tourism Advisor in ensuring provision of high standards of customer care in the operation of the facilities and service provision.
7. To take bookings for tours and accommodation and assist in organising trips and events, selling tickets and retail goods and associated cash handling.
8. To actively promote and sell the accommodation & ticket booking service and sale of retail goods to generate income and offset costs, to tourists and local residents and to premises within and outside Northern Ireland.
9. To assist customers with printing flight boarding cards and other services through the internet and printing facility within the TIC and to take and record appropriate charges for these and other services.
10. To provide general administration duties including typing, filing, correspondence and general admin support for the tourism facility.
11. To assist with the statistical recording of all enquiries.
12. To assist with updating the events, accommodation, places of interests and places to eat section on the Council's website, social media e.g. Facebook and twitter and on appropriate listing sites.
13. To deal with or refer tourists' complaints appropriately and to implement the N.I.T.B.'s 'Victim of Crime' Report when necessary.
14. To adhere to Northern Ireland Tourist Board's (now Tourism NI) Minimum Standards including attending necessary training.
15. To maintain the tourism facility in an orderly and clean manner.
16. To attend exhibitions as requested and liaise with trade and other partners.
17. To provide bank holiday, sickness, leave or staff vacancies cover as required.
18. To secure the building that houses the Tourist Information Centre, including opening, closing and operation of the alarm system and securing of the retail sections.
19. To sell tickets, accommodation and other goods and services including for outside organisations and to take deposits/entries & money for competitions etc and to explain relevant cancellation policies and terms.
20. To operate the bureau de change service including exchanging foreign currency into sterling.
21. To receive goods for resale eg checking delivery notes and invoices including lifting and storing quantities of boxed literature and retail goods.
22. To promote a positive approach to Fair Employment, Equal Opportunities (Inc. Section 75); adopt safe working practices as set out in Council's Health and Safety Policy, and to adhere to all the Council Policies and Procedures.
23. To undertake all duties in such a way as to enhance and protect the reputation and public profile of the Council.
24. To undertake any other relevant duties as may be required to fulfil the duties of the post.
Applicants must have
- 5 GCSE's (Grades A - C) or their equivalent including English language and a numerical subject ·
- 6 months experience of handling cash and of cash reconciliation ·
- 6 months experience of dealing with the general public in a customer facing environment which has links to tourism, travel or hospitality
- 6 months IT experience of Microsoft Products to include 'Word', 'Excel' and 'Access'. ·
- Have an awareness of the tourism products on offer within the borough i.e. Key Attractions, activities and events.
- Experience of carrying out light housekeeping duties eg hovering, dusting etc