Reporting to the Verification Officer this temporary agency worker is responsible for managing, planning, and providing an independent audit vouching and verification service for organisations funded by the Community Relations Council.
The key elements that constitute the role of the Verification Officer for the Community Relations Council are as follows:
Vouching and Verification
- Complete pre-contract and post-contract checks to ensure robust systems are in place and follow up any recommendations.
- Design and tailor the nature and the scope of verification work to address the size and nature of projects and uncover and address irregularities.
- Assess organisations risk level of non-compliance and establish and maintain a risk register database of those organisations to determine the scope of the audit work required to meet with funding requirements.
- Organise and manage vouching and verification workload to self and the Finance & Verification Assistant to meet the changing priorities of the CRC.
- Be responsible for undertaking verification and financial control visits to ensure management control systems operate satisfactorily.
- Ensure that expenditure complies with contract conditions, and verify grant has been used, as specified in the Letter of Offer.
- Ensure expenditure incurred is eligible, actual and consistent with the project concerned.
- Complete vouching forms, and produce vouching reports as necessary, highlighting areas of non-compliance or potentially ineligible expenditure, detailing irregularities that will need reported to CRC management for recovery action.
- Process payments on the grants management system
- Report on financial systems and the effective management and accounting of publicly funded grant aid.
- Report on non-compliance and financial irregularities.
- Monitor verification of expenditure awarded against budgets, including working with Project Officers on the production of financial projections.
- Contribute to the review of monitoring and evaluation of the CRC funding schemes, policies and procedures, projects and programmes.
- Support the development and implementation of the CRC policies.
- Liaise with CRC staff and a wide range of organisations and support the maintenance of positive client relationships.
- Work in conjunction with other CRC staff, where projects are of mutual concern
- Facilitate the work of internal and external auditors appointed to report on matters relating to the verification of funding.
- Work flexibly to meet the requirements of the post, as occasional meetings out of office hours may be required.
Finance & Verification Assistant
- Be responsible for line management of the Finance & Verification Assistant.
- Assign Vouching and Verification workload to the Finance & Verification Assistant.
- Assign claims and provide vouching and verification support to the Finance & Verification Assistant.
- Liaise with the Finance Manager to ensure that the finance duties of the Finance & Verification Assistant are delivered in line with the CRC Finance Manual and business needs. (Finance duties include invoice processing, payment processing, maintenance of petty cash register, maintenance of transactions on the Sage accounting system, and providing reports to the Finance Manager)
- Liaise with other staff to ensure that the Finance & Verification Assistant's ad hoc administration duties are delivered on time and to high quality.
- Complete weekly cash monitoring routines including bank reconciliations and the monthly cash drawdown procedure.
- Review petty cash reconciliation on a monthly basis.
- Ensure the maintenance of finance registers for business cases, contracts and post project evaluations.
- Prepare procurement file for each procurement exercise.
- Ensure the safe storage of all financial records in line with CRCs information governance polices within the area of responsibility.
Advice and Guidance
A vital role for the Verification Officer will be to develop and nurture excellent working relationships both within and between all areas of the service. Key elements of the role will be to:
- Provide effective professional guidance and recommendations to the Finance Manager and the Director of Finance, Administration and Personnel and the Senior Management Team (SMT) in relation to delivering the vouching and verification function.
- Demonstrate a high level of personal integrity and maintain professional standards throughout the organisation.
- Deliver results against directorate and business objectives.
- Develop comprehensive reporting procedures between external organisations and CRC.