Veterinary Research Officer
Grafton Recruitment are working in partnership with a large public sector organisation to recruit a temporary Veterinary Research Officer to start ASAP for a duration of 12 months (initially)
Pay rate: 0-12 week's £15.00
13+ week's £25.38
Location: Belfast, BT4
Hours: 9:00am- 5:00pm Monday- Friday (37)
- Have Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)
- A general science background would be beneficial
- Experience of working in a laboratory environment would be beneficial
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work flexible working hours
Animal Disease Diagnosis and Surveillance
- This work includes animal disease diagnosis and surveillance and participation in statutory and other testing programmes carried out by AFBI on behalf of a wide range of customers including private veterinary surgeons, poultry farmers, government departments and other organisations.
- The person will be required to be part of an effective and efficient farm animal diagnostic service and it is anticipated that the majority of the work will be clinical pathology based. Components of the work will include the scheduling, interpreting and reporting the results of wide range of diagnostic tests including clinical chemistry, bacteriology, virology, serology and parasitology to private veterinary practitioners and other customers.
- The person will also be expected to provide veterinary and scientific input to the effective and efficient running of the relevant laboratory work areas.
Herd Health Programmes
- The person will be expected to play a key role in the promotion and delivery of a range of laboratory-based herd health initiatives. These include the AFBI Cattle Health Scheme which is provided to herd owners for assistance in the control of the main non-statutory diseases of cattle; testing in support of local and national BVD eradication programmes; biochemical herd profiling and parasitology screening initiatives.
- Assisting senior management in the management of staff and other resources as required. This may include contributing to the preparation of business plans, staff reporting, management of budgets and where necessary ensuring compliance with health and safety, biocontainment and other relevant legislation.
- Undertaking technology transfer and representational duties as required. These will include presenting at local, national or international veterinary, agricultural and other scientific meetings and preparing advisory articles, disease surveillance reports, scientific and other publications.
Veterinary and Scientific Advice
- The person will be expected to provide expert veterinary and scientific advice on animal disease matters to veterinary practitioners, farmers, industry and government.
- Veterinary Research Officers may be required to carry out duties other than those listed above, according to AFBI's business need including as part of the Institute's response to a major epizootic disease, food-chain or other emergency. They may also be required to teach university or other students, and to carry out duties under the Animal Scientific Procedures Act.
- The person will be required to travel locally, nationally or internationally in order to perform the duties of the posts. They will also be required to occasionally work outside normal office hours, particularly in relation to animal disease or food chain emergency incidents.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake an Access NI Disclosure check at a cost of £18/£33. A person's criminal record will not, in itself, debar that person from being appointed to this post. Any information given will be treated in the strictest confidence.
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. If you are interested please upload your CV to the link provided, Fiona Magee will be in touch to confirm if you have been shortlisted.
**PLEASE NOTE THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED VERY QUICKLY BUT WE WILL KEEP YOUR DETAILS ON FILE FOR ANY FUTURE ROLES THAT COME THROUGH THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN**
This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Grafton. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland