Waiting List Officer (Admin)
Temporary administrative officer required for a large public sector organisation based through the Belfast Trust.
Rate of Pay: Royal Victoria Hospital
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Duration: Temporary ongoing
JOB SUMMARY / MAIN PURPOSE:
To assist in the provision of timely, accurate and up-to-date information pertaining to elective admissions
KEY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Add patients to waiting list in accordance with consultant's instructions while adhering to Integrated Elective Access Protocol (IEAP).
- Notify patients and GPs of waiting list details including intended surgical procedure when new patients are added to the waiting list.
- Responsible for booking pre-assessment if appropriate to ensure patient fit for surgery.
- Ensure appropriate action is taken following outcome of pre-assessment appointment.
- Liaise with consultants/secretarial staff & schedulers on a daily basis regarding patients to be selected for admission.
- Responsible for providing service groups managers with reliable information and also discussing pertinent issues relating to patients whose treatment has been planned or suspended.
- Pre-admit patients booked for admissions and ensure they have adequate notice and phone if necessary.
- Ensure patient fully understands specific instruction on preparation details prior to admission including diet and medication.
- Ensure patients are fully informed of after effects of sedation/anaesthetic including the need to arrange transport home as it may not be appropriate to drive.
- Co-ordinate admission details with appropriate administration staff, patient flow co-ordinators and nursing staff for their information.
- Apply correct (OPCS) procedure codes to patient waiting list episodes.
- Carry out periodic reviews of patients awaiting elective/planned admissions and patients suspended from the active waiting list.
- Be involved in regular team discussions and new initiatives.
- Provide patients with a friendly and efficient service.
- Action PAS monitoring reports daily.
- Provide weekly summary of waiting list activity for specific specialties for discussion with Line Manager/Service Group Managers.
- Responsible for production and clearance of exception reports on PAS.
- Liaise with patients on matters relating to their waiting list status and admission details.
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances but would be in discussion with the post holder
1.HNC/HND or equivalent/higher qualification in an administrative related field AND 1 years' experience within Health Records
4 GCSEs at Grade A-C including English Language and Maths or equivalent/ Higher qualification AND 2 years' experience in Health Records
3 years' experience in Health Records
- A sound knowledge of PAS modules and reports and data capture.
- A sound knowledge and understanding of IEAP.
- Responsible attitude to confidentiality of patient information
- Sound knowledge of PAS and data capture.
- Use of computer systems and software packages
- Knowledge of waiting list management on PAS, clinical coding and medical terminology
- Ability to work well as a team member and to use initiative. Experience in recording patient level data on PAS.
- Ability to prioritise skills. Experience in dealing with general public.
- Good communication skills
Good interpersonal skills
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link or contact Hannah Fitzsimons. Hannah.Fitzsimons@staffline.co.uk
To be shortlisted for this role all applicants MUST meet the essential criteria. Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles. As there are so many applications, unsuccessful candidates may not be contacted.
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.