Waste Transfer Station Operative
Temporary Waste Transfer Station Operative required for a large public sector client based in Belfast City Centre.
Rate of Pay: £10.41 per hour
Location: Dargan Street, Belfast
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Duration: 2 months pending review
- To control all site traffic - directing heavy goods vehicles depositing and delivering:
- Municipal waste at the WTS reception hall
- Recovery materials at the Recycling area at the site
- To inspect and ensure the correctness of duty of care documentation accompanying municipal wastes entering the station
- To maintain general site tidiness and cleanliness including but not limited to:
- Clearing litter from planted areas and around site perimeter, its fences, entrance and approach roads
- Cleaning site offices, canteen accommodation, site vehicles such as Light Vehicles, using high pressure washing equipment
- Maintaining the site infrastructure, i.e. carrying out general repairs and cleaning of, painting, and any general maintenance and repair works, including perimeter fencing and using portable power tools
- Brush, clean and wash the waste reception hall on a regular programme set by management taking into consideration vehicle movements and operation of the loading shovel
- Maintain the recycling area in a clean and orderly condition by placing loose materials in their respective containers and sweeping the area of dirt and litter
- To assist where necessary with off-loading of deliveries of materials and other equipment to site using site telescopic handler
- To safely store Waste Electrical and Electronic and other wastes banned from landfill, monitor stock levels and ensure timely and safe uploading and removal by external contractors
- To identify and manually remove hazardous wastes (including the packaging and quarantining of asbestos and hypodermic needles)
- To operate and maintain a range of plant and machinery such as tele-handlers mechanical sweepers, scissor lifts, mini dumpers etc., Light Vehicles, and complete relevant daily check logs on the above
- In the absence of on-site supervision, ensure that safe systems of work are employed and that all work activities are carried out in compliance with health and safety legislation and the waste management site licence
- To manage the safety of all site users/service providers and contractors visiting or operating inside the waste hall
- To keep up to date with best practice in waste management and to participate in any relevant training programme or initiatives as identified or required.
- To provide additional cover to the Household Recycling Centres, as appropriate
- Possess a full, current C1 (Class 3) driving licence which enables them to drive in Northern Ireland
- Be able to demonstrate specific examples of one year's experience in:
- labouring within the commercial, building, waste, transport or other heavy industry including the management of site traffic
- operating and maintaining a range of plant and machinery as required and driving Light Vehicles
- providing advice and guidance to drivers and other customers on a daily basis in a face-to-face environment
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link.
Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles.