Wastewater Scientific Officer - Officer
Job Title: Wastewater Scientific Officer
Length: 6 Months
The Client: NI Water
- Provide assistance/support to the Wastewater Deputy Scientific Process Manager (line manager) and offer advice/support to Wastewater operational Field staff.
- Compile scientific data/information and be responsible for the management of sampling resources such as testing equipment etc.
- Perform on-site tests e.g. Clarity, Turbidity, NH3(N), checking D.O's and MLSS levels, FeSo4 dose rate, checking WwTW's general condition/operational status etc.) as required and accurately record results in order to monitor performance of a Treatment Process and to identify process problems at a WwTW. These on-site tests results must be reported to the Deputy Scientific Process Manager daily and recorded on central database. The post holder will be responsible for maintaining their area of the Database.
- Collect Wastewater Samples at WwTW on as required and deliver samples in conjunction with appropriate paperwork as required and within predetermined time frames and under environmental conditions Set up (and distribute if necessary) Automatic Samplers at various sites as directed for the purposes of collecting Regulatory and operational samples to monitor performance of a Wastewater Treatment Process. A condition check of the Automatic Sampler should also be carried out.
- Access Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) as required to interrogate sampling schedules, plan sampling "runs" and to access analytical results of samples collected for reporting purposes.
- Generate Samples reports/results, as directed by Deputy Scientific Process Manager.
- Responsible for making decisions in the field that can impact on the level of Regulatory Compliance.
- Assist the Deputy Scientific Process Manager in information gathering in order to allow them to prepare Exceedance Investigation Reports.
- Liaise with Wastewater Networks staff and Trade Effluent Section to reduce the impact which discharges to the sewer may have on Wastewater Treatment Processes.
- Assist in the collection of data for PPC reporting purposes.
- Assist in matters relating to Energy Efficiency and cost saving initiatives.
- Carry out other duties as required by business need.
Hours of work: 42 hours per week
- Possess an A Level (or equivalent) in a relevant scientific or environmental subject OR 3 year's demonstrable experience working in a Water or Wastewater scientific or scientific process role.
- A minimum of 5 GCSE's Grade C or above, to include English and Maths, or equivalent.
- Have an understanding of a wastewater treatment processes and of analytical tests carried out on wastewater
- Competent in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook applications
- A full current driving license enabling the post holder to drive in Northern Ireland as they will be required to drive a Northern Ireland Water vehicle.
- A requirement to participate in an on call rota to fulfil business needs.
- 3rd level qualification in a relevant scientific or environmental subject, or 5 years' experience working in a Water or Wastewater scientific or process role.
- Rate of pay: £13.06 per hour
Successful candidates may need to apply for an Access NI Certificate with Staffline regardless if you already have a valid certificate. It will be a cost of between £18 - £33 depending on clearance level.
If you are interested and available for this position, please upload your CV to the link or contact Coleen O'Hara - firstname.lastname@example.org
Why use Staffline? This may not matter to you when you're looking for a new opportunity, but we just wanted to tell you a little bit about Staffline. We know that finding the right job can be challenging and we have the tools and resources to help you succeed. An established recruitment agency since 1983, we offer permanent and temporary job solutions to lots of different clients in multiple industry sectors in Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. For further information please apply with your up to date CV by clicking the button.