2 Temporary Zoo Keepers required for a large public sector client based in Belfast.
Rate of Pay: £11.50 per hour
Location: Belfast Zoo, Antrim Road
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Duration: 1 month pending review
- To be responsible for the general welfare and husbandry of Zoo animals including the cleaning and inherent safety of enclosures, the preparation and storage of animal food and the feeding of animals
- To supervise and be responsible for the work of volunteers, students, researchers, and invited guests or interested parties working, helping and refurbishing etc. all enclosures within the immediate area of animals
- To train and be trained in all aspects of animal husbandry
- To keep a varied, detailed and complete record of all animals including but not limited to daily report sheets, quarantine records and veterinary records
- To supervise and be responsible for patrolling the Zoo and the direction and diplomatic control of visitors on a daily basis
- To communicate orally and in writing on a range of Zoo issues to a range of Zoo stakeholders including veterinary care, the Police Service for Northern Ireland (PSNI), public relations, interest groups, senior managers and at special events
- To be responsible for using and maintaining a variety of machinery and equipment
- To use and apply all appropriate chemicals and related substances in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines and CoSHH or other relevant health and safety regulations
- To implement all Zoo health and safety policies and procedures including various daily checks (including dangerous animals, escape and lost children); and acting as a keyholder for all animal enclosures and public areas
- To liaise with external contractors working in the Zoo over working arrangements, timing and nature of work to be done in and around animal enclosures
- To carry out minor repairs and maintenance on animal enclosures as required
- To maintain the cleanliness and general safety of the areas around animal enclosures through litter picking and associated activities
- To administer and maintain a working knowledge of appropriate and relevant drugs and medication for the treatment of animals under suitable veterinary guidance
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate, by providing personal and specific examples, at least one year's relevant zoo keeping experience
If you are interested and available for this position please upload your CV to the link.
Please note that these roles may be filled quickly but your CV will be kept on file for future similar roles.